Need help choosing dive system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N.E.Diver:
Thank you all for the replies so far...I think there is something to be said about buying local, and many of you are right about it being apples to apples. However, the difference in price between package 1 and 3 is $1,000. I like the local guy and want to dive with him and not upset him by going online, but $1,000 is a lot of money.
$1k is a lot of money, but those "packages" are for completely different gear.

I think the gear listed in "package 1" is superior to what you have in "package 3," and that explains a lot of the price difference.

I always do my research online, print out the deals I was considering, and bring it to LDS for discussion/negotiating. They are usually able to work out a deal with me that is reasonably competitive with the internet sales. Sometimes they can't compete, (like when I bought my drysuit from divetank.com. better price, return policy and warranty than they could offer) but in the long run the appreciate being given the chance to get my business.

If you're a new diver, I would suggest you buy only as you really need, and acquire the experience to get exactly what you want. As far as the reg goes, almost anything will work really well; there's ALOT of hype in regulator purchase for recreational diving. If your LDS sells aqualung and that appeals to you, try the titan; it's a lot less expensive and it will work as well. If you're not sure, just figure out some way to try several different regs on OW dives of moderate depth and you'll see exactly what I mean. All the regs you listed would serve you will, I'm sure. Sometimes it comes down to service availability and familiarity. The good news is that as long as you buy a reputable reg from a reputable dealer, you're almost certainly not going to get something you won't like, or at least be willing to use.

The wetsuit choice will have a much more noticable and immediate impact on your diving experience, and in this case, fit is everything. If your LDS can fit you correctly, you should probably buy it there, and I think a good, perfectly fitted wetsuit suitable for your local conditions is probably the best first purchase for new divers.

The BC is a very personal choice that requires diving experience to make. So, at the risk of inciting a riot, I'd suggest that you rent for a while, or if you must buy, really consider resale value; because probably you'll change your mind at some point. Everyone raves about the Zeagle brigade, and you'll have no trouble selling it for a good price if/when you decide to go a different route. Another option is to buy something used; there's a huge selection of BCs on ebay. That right there should tell you something about BCs; most divers will change their BC opinion throughout their development as a diver. But, fit is an issue, and you're always taking a chance with used stuff.

Computer purchase for a new diver is a little confusing to say the least. You might want to look over this:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/dive_computers/crunching_the_numbers/

Pay attention to the charts....sometimes there's a huge difference in the way different computers react to the same scenario. Unfortunately, as a new diver, it's very difficult for you to know which of these computers is the best fit for your diving style. Good luck! Don't forget the value of user-friendliness and ease of reading; in this aspect, the aeris atmos are really good. The conservative nature of Suunto computers has the respect of many of the more experienced divers on this board, but many of them are in more demanding diving situations where safety margins are smaller.

It also really depends on what type of diving you may think you will do in the future. I dropped about 2.5K on gear years ago then moved in to more technical (deco / deep) diving. Then I had to replace a great bcd w/ BP/W, and purchase better regs, etc. Wound up costing me about 1.5K more than should have...

N.E.Diver:
I am ready to buy my first dive system...I really want this to be the right purchase for the money. I have narrowed my choices down to three systems and I have included prices as well. I am going to be diving in New England waters and some warm waters on vacation. I should also add that I have a great Halcyon dealer close to me and the owner of the shop is a really great guy, and I want to dive with him going foward.

1) Local deal-

Legend LX - $535.00
ATX 50 Octo - 211.50
SPG - 97.00
SK7 Wrist Compass- 89.10
Gekko Wrist Comp - 341.10
Halcyon Eclipse 30 - 595.00
X-Flex Wetsuit 7/6/5 - 337.00

Total with taxes = 2,339.10 (still need tank, hoses, and misc stuff)

2) Local Deal with Online purchases made

Legend Supreme - 399.95
ATX 50 Octo - 174.95
TUSA SCA 343- Console - 479.00
Halcyon Eclipse 30 - 630.00 (local tax included)
Akona Jumpsuit 7mm - 159.00

Total= 1,842.90

3) Scubatoys Deal

Zeagle Brigade
ZX Flathead 6
Envoy Octo
Tusa SCA 343 Console
Akona Jumpsuit 7mm

Total= 1,359.00

Cost is an issue for me, however, more important to me is getting the best gear for my money. I know there will be different oppinions...I thank you all in advance for your responses.

To: N.E.Diver
I'm not as highly experienced as most of the divers who freguent this board but since I just did what you're about to do I thought I would reply. My wife and I have 41 logged dives each and this year, for the first time, we bought our own equipment.

I did a lot of research. I went to 3 LDS's here in town. I checked prices, warranties and etc at several on-line stores. I've read a 100 equipment reviews in various publications. I've listened to advice from some highly experienced divers that I know. I posted here under two different names so I could ask questions in different ways to solicite different responses. All-in-all it took me about 2 months to make a final decision.

1. As everyone is telling you, the equipment in your packages are a quite different. To make the best buying decision you've got to decide on the brands, features and models you want to purchase.

2. There's nothing wrong with any of the equipment you've listed. Just remember the "GOLDEN RULE;" you always get what you pay for. My decision was not to "Skimp" on the REG.

3. Getting what you pay for also applies to buying local. Buying local you'll pay tax and you won't get as good of a discount. However, I think you already know what you will get by buying local.

4. Here's what I did - having chosen my brands and models I bought most of it from my LDS. Items I felt I didn't need walk-in support for; i.e. BC's, accesseries, wetsuits and etc., I ordered from ScubaToys for a little better price and I saved the tax to boot - 9% for me. (ScubaToys :yelclap: knew I was buying 2 sets of gear from my local LDS and they still provided me with good prices and great service.)

5. My recommendation - Buy most of your gear from your LDS but be selective about it. Buy the rest for the best price (which includes saving the taxes) you can get it for. This way I think you'll get the best of both worlds.

LOL..............

Hi,
Don't feel obligated to buy all your equipment from the same source. It's ok to shop around. You don't need to buy everything at once. Keep in mind that some of your gear will need to be serviced. So how much does it cost to service? Can/will the local guy service it(I like to get the stuff that needs to be serviced from the local guy). You should factor in the maintaince costs. In some cases it might be more cost efficient to rent.

There are a couple things you can do to help with the cost.

Check out some other regs; others have already suggested Titan, Apex (make sure it is rated for cold water) I believe the LX is Aqualungs top end model. Talk with the local guy. The difference between the top end model the the midrange stuff is hard to notice.

You could rent for now, buy later. It won't be cheaper in the long run, but will spread out the cost over time.

The octo's you quoted seem expensive to me. There a lot of good octos that cost less.

Since you will be diving in New England, a drysuit might be in your future. You might want to consider a lower cost wet suit. BUT MAKE SURE IT FITS properly. If the fit is wrong, you will have thrown you money away, and will just end up spending more on another suit(not the best way to keep the costs down).

cheers & good luck

You can save some money on your rig as others have mentioned. IMO, stick with a back plate and wing rig as it offers more flexibility. Halcyon is nice, but expensive. I have an Eclipse #40 wing, but combined it with an OMS comfort harness and Fred T back plate. About 99% of my diving is done in cold water, my Apeks regs have never let me down.

Thank you all for your help so far...in many ways I am now more confused...lots to consider. I am pretty sure I want the Halcyon Eclipse BC, I realize there are other less expensive alternatives like Dive Rite and OxyCheq, but this LDS is the second largest Halcyon dealer in the US and they will fit me, service the rig, and make sure I am totally happy. That being said I am thinking of changing to the APEKS ATX50 to save some money. I also think that I will buy my wetsuit locally because of fit and because if my wetsuit is crap then I will never dive. I think I will take advice from others already and buy the wesuit first and slowly assemble my dive system. Thanks again for all the advice!

N.E.Diver:
Thank you all for your help so far...in many ways I am now more confused...lots to consider. I am pretty sure I want the Halcyon Eclipse BC, I realize there are other less expensive alternatives like Dive Rite and OxyCheq, but this LDS is the second largest Halcyon dealer in the US and they will fit me, service the rig, and make sure I am totally happy. That being said I am thinking of changing to the APEKS ATX50 to save some money. I also think that I will buy my wetsuit locally because of fit and because if my wetsuit is crap then I will never dive. I think I will take advice from others already and buy the wesuit first and slowly assemble my dive system. Thanks again for all the advice!

Whatever you end up with, just owning your own gear makes you more likely to dive then the renters. I am the only one in my OW class who bought a full set of gear right away and the only one who dove with any regularity last year. Renting and returning is such a pain and you need to have at least $40 for gear (cold water diving anyway) and air each time you do it. I always a full tank or two sitting my closet ready to dive whenever the oppurtunity arises.

Okay-

All those who have helped me out by answering many questions for me I have a new one. The situation is that I have 2 dive shops in my area 1) that I got certified at and I really like the owner, but he really only carries aqualung products and thats it. 2) Is another guy in town been open same time...over 30 yrs...and he carries Halcyon and aqualung equipment and says he hasnt sold a jacket style BCD since he started carrying BP/W style, they just sit on the shelves. Price wise both stores are very similiar. Oh store 1 is SSI which is where I got my OW certification, and store 2 is PADI. My girlfriend is being dragged into this as well b/c she is my dive buddy and has gone thru the classes with me. Both owners are great and I feel comfortable with each, however, I lean towards store 1 b/c thats where I got my cert. and we are both comfortable there. Store 1 does not carry nor recommend BP/W style BC's b/c he says I wouldnt want one b/c I would have trouble staying verticle on the surface. I have not tried either product in the water only rental products & neither store is really setup to let me demo the systems. Factors that play into my decision making process are cost, cust service, relationship with shop owner, comfort, fit and durability. So here are the systems as I have them priced out w/ taxes.

System 1 from store 1:

Seaquest PRO XLT BCD
Titan Regulators
ABS OCTO
COBRA air integrated computer w/ compass
Deep See 7mm Quantum strech wetsuit (FITS GREAT)
2nd Stage air holder
BCD Strobe

In addition I get some value added products such as:

Dive watch
2 guided tours
1 specialty course (book, dvd)
Product Reg
2 Equip services

With taxes $2,300 (still need tank) and the value added products are close to $500

Store 2 is offering:

Legend LX - $535.00
ATX 50 Octo - 211.50
SPG - 97.00
SK7 Wrist Compass- 89.10
Gekko Wrist Comp - 341.10
Halcyon Eclipse 30 - 595.00
X-Flex Wetsuit 7/6/5 - 337.00

Total with taxes = 2,339.10 (still need tank, hoses, and misc stuff).....NO Value added products.

Now with store number 2 I can bump the reg down to apeks 50 which has been suggested already by many of you. Also cobra computers have a $200 rebate so I could upgrade the computer to air integrated w/ console and compass and actually pay a bit less.

I am sorry to be so detailed but I am purchasing equipment for 2 people and this is a big decision to make. I appreciate the help so far that I have recieved on this board. Put yourself in my shoes as a new diver and please tell me what you think and what your thought process is behind your decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom