Need gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess it's a matter of what you want to spend and whether you need one specifically made for diving. If you don't need all of the compartments of a "dive" bag, you can go generic. I found a bag at Target that holds quite a bit, and it only cost 30 USD. It's a 30 inch bag and has wheels. No compartments, but it's got a ton of space. It fits everything I need it to fit, and it works for a poor college student. I'm working my way out of it though, I just bought a akona snorkel/mask/fin bag today.

http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Akona_Snorkelbag

Looking to get some better stuff soon, but for now, my 30 dollar bag by Pro-Spirit (or something like that) from Target is doing the job quite nicely.

One thing not mentioned on this thread yet, is that if you're using this for air travel many people feel it's best to avoid bags that have logos or brands that scream "scuba gear inside."

i try not to make my luggage too conspicuous.
I use a Costco made Kirkland bag to carry my stuff. Tough bag. Lifetime replacement if anything breaks.

I think ultimately when you get to your destination, people are going to know that you are there for diving. A couple with two huge pieces of luggage (that's not including camera equipment). A little suspicious especially in the tropics where less clothing is the norm.

That said, I do carry my valuable equipment (regs, mask, and computer) with me on the plane. I could always rent the rest if it got misplaced.

LChan:
I think ultimately when you get to your destination, people are going to know that you are there for diving. A couple with two huge pieces of luggage (that's not including camera equipment). A little suspicious especially in the tropics where less clothing is the norm.
It's not when the luggage is with me that I'm worried about. My 50# generic rolling duffel isn't bigger than most of the other luggage I see checked.

I have one and like it ... not LOVE it, because they didn't do a good enough job with the wheels, in my humble opinion.

If you want to go top $$ for a lifetime guarantee, then go with a Stahlsac.

MyDiveLog:
I have one and like it ... not LOVE it, because they didn't do a good enough job with the wheels, in my humble opinion.

If you want to go top $$ for a lifetime guarantee, then go with a Stahlsac.

Actually, we get a lifetime guarantee on the Akona Dive Bag as well. Stahlsac are great, and we sell them... but some people just don't want to spend nearly twice the money. But if bought from an authorized dealer, if you blow out a wheel on your Akona, they will fix it or replace it - no charge.

scubatoys:
Actually, we get a lifetime guarantee on the Akona Dive Bag as well. Stahlsac are great, and we sell them... but some people just don't want to spend nearly twice the money. But if bought from an authorized dealer, if you blow out a wheel on your Akona, they will fix it or replace it - no charge.

The smaller Catalina Express boat doesn't let you 'roll on' your dive gear; they dump it into the hold. The wheel on my Akona got damaged in the process, and Sports Chalet replaced it for free even though I didn't have the recipt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom