Need feedback or suggestions... please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norbs007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Newbie Alert:dork2:

Like everything else that I do, I try to do things right the first time by asking around first. I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and for the price of scuba equipments I cannot afford to buy a better one later on. So, for the sake of DIR the first time and keeping it for the longest time I did a little research and came up with a list of things to buy. I like to buy the expensive stuff online for the big savings and small ones from a LDS. Pros, cons and suggestions please.

My first experience with a LDS is to get something that I can use both for snorkling and scuba, here are the stuff they sold me. Mind you that I don't know jack about any of these stuff.

Fins:
They sold me a pair of Mares Volo Power. Although I find it lighter compared to the others they have I did not like the buckle system, feels fragile. It feels easy to use in the water though but it was hard for me to dive straight down while snorkling.

Mask:
They fitted me with a Seadive Eagleye which worked well I think.

Snorkel:
I got three different ones for the family.
1. XS Scuba M-Line 3D Flex Dry - this is the one I used.
2. Oceanic Ultra Dry - never had a chance to try it, was used by the wifey.
3. Aqua Lung Impulse 3 - simple and effective, will be my scuba snorkel. Is it really needed?

Things to buy:
Atomic Aquatics B2 DIN
Oceanic Excursion BCD with XS II for back-up and inflator. Will the Atomic SS1 work?
Wet Suit - still looking. Is a 5mm good for an all around suit?
Computer - still looking. I would probably go with a wrist type for less clutter. Any suggestions around $400?
Mask - I would like to get the Atomic Subframe, hope it will work for me.

Any comments or suggestions is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have dove the Atomic B2. It is a great reg. I use a Scubapro D400, though. It was given to me, so I am slightly biased.:D
I'm looking into the Atomic sub-frame. It feels great, and I like the look. Looks are so important while diving.:rofl3::rofl3:
As far as the rest of the stuff, I don't know.
Talk to the shop and see if they will let you do a trial dive with some of the gear that you would like to purchase from them. The shop that I use has let me try some of their gear that way. That's why I like the sub-frame mask. It was great on my dive. They also let me try the SP split fins, like the fins, not the price.
Good luck on finding what works for you. Research the forums before you make an unadvised purchase, remember that everyone has an opinion.-- Take them with a grain of salt.

I like most of your gear selection. I would suggest changing the straps for a pair of spring straps for your fins and don't get the inflater/octo combo. Stick with a regular inflater. In the unlikely event you have to USE the thing, you would be better suited with something that does not hinder your ability to look around. You will be limited by the length of your inflater and corrugated hoses. Your buddy will be to your right, and you won't be able to turn your head that far.

BTW, I am just now diving the B2 reg as well. They breathe sweet.

So much depends on where you like to dive most often. Particularly when it comes to the wetsuit. Check with the folks that dive in the area for better advice.

For me a great mask is one that does not leak. I have a inexpensive mask that fits perfect and never leaks a drop.

If you snorkel and scuba dive you will need a snorkel. In my opinion, just about any snorkel that is comfortable and breathes easy will do fine.

I’m not a fan of Alternate Air that are built into the BC inflator. Nothing bad, I just prefer a simple Octo setup.

Don’t get hung up on any one manufacturer, most SCUBA gear is of very good quality anyway. Atomic does make very good stuff, their regulators hold up very well.

Newbie Alert:dork2:

Like everything else that I do, I try to do things right the first time by asking around first. I'm a firm believer of "you get what you pay for" and for the price of scuba equipments I cannot afford to buy a better one later on. So, for the sake of DIR the first time and keeping it for the longest time I did a little research and came up with a list of things to buy. I like to buy the expensive stuff on-line for the big savings and small ones from a LDS. Pros, cons and suggestions please.

My first experience with a LDS is to get something that I can use both for snorkeling and scuba, here are the stuff they sold me. Mind you that I don't know jack about any of these stuff.

Fins:
They sold me a pair of Mares Volo Power. Although I find it lighter compared to the others they have I did not like the buckle system, feels fragile. It feels easy to use in the water though but it was hard for me to dive straight down while snorkeling.

Mask:
They fitted me with a Seadive Eagleye which worked well I think.

Snorkel:
I got three different ones for the family.
1. XS Scuba M-Line 3D Flex Dry - this is the one I used.
2. Oceanic Ultra Dry - never had a chance to try it, was used by the wifey.
3. Aqua Lung Impulse 3 - simple and effective, will be my scuba snorkel. Is it really needed?

Things to buy:
Atomic Aquatics B2 DIN
Oceanic Excursion BCD with XS II for back-up and inflater. Will the Atomic SS1 work?
Wet Suit - still looking. Is a 5mm good for an all around suit?
Computer - still looking. I would probably go with a wrist type for less clutter. Any suggestions around $400?
Mask - I would like to get the Atomic Subframe, hope it will work for me.

Any comments or suggestions is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes the Atomic SS1 will work with both Oceanic and Aeris BCs. The SS1 comes with 3 adapaters that allow it to be fitted to the corugated hose on almost any BC.

I have three of the SS1 units (wife, daughter and mine) and they work great. I have not encountered any problems with them whatsoever. I very nice side advantage of the SS1 is that it makes it so easy to flush the inside of the BC that I do so after every dive day.

I also used the SS1 during my NAUI rescue diver and NAUI Master Diver checkouts without any problems.

Most of my diving is in cold water between New England and Pennsylvania (between 430 F - 600 F).

Thanks for the great replies, very informative indeed. The SS1 was my first choice, but decided to order the Ti2 instead. Like I said, buy once and be done.

Some more questions:
About the tank, do you folks buy your own or you just rent one each time? I figured that you have to fill it up each time you go out, which means a trip to the LDS anyways so why not just rent one.

Computers, if you have a wrist type does it mean you don't need anymore gauges?

Wet Suit, do you need to have one for different water temps or just get a 7mm one?

My apologies for these questions, I know I can wait until the class but I don't want to hold it up with all my questions. Thanks again.

If you buy an air integrated computer, you don't need gauges.

For a wetsuit, it depends on where you're going to dive and how cold tolerant you are. For instance, I own a 3mm full suit for summer Caribbean diving, a 5mm full suit for diving in Hawaii (year around), and both a vest and microprene suit for layering when needed.

Keep in mind that spending more money doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the "best" gear.

There's no such thing as an all around wetsuit. If you dive different places you will wind up with a wardrobe and maybe pieces to layer. People's cold tolerance varies a lot but I would guess a 5mm would not be enough for you at home and too much if you travel someplace tropical.

If you get an air integrated (hoseless) wrist computer you don't need gauges, but many people consider it a good idea to have a regular pressure gauge as a backup. AI computers are fun toys but more expensive and not needed or necessarily "better." You can also get AI computers that are connected to the hose so don't have a wireless unit to fail somehow, those are less expensive than the hoseless kind and a backup pressure gauge is less likely to be needed. Hosed AI is cheaper than hoseless AI but still more than a non-integrated computer which will do the job just as well. (For the price, I'd rather have 2 regular computers and have a backup, than one AI computer, and in fact I do.)

If you have a mask that works well as you say (works well means "doesn't leak") then I see no reason to get another and "hope" it works. The only way to find the right mask is to try them on, all the research in the world won't tell you which is the right mask. The right mask may be some $30 one that fits and not the latest $120 mask with whatever features and fancy marketing. Or it may be the expensive one.

Fancy snorkels can be nice for snorkeling, but for scuba lots of people don't wear or carry snorkels at all after class. It can depend if they need them much where they're diving. Some people carry collapsible snorkels that are easy to put in a pocket until the rare time they are needed, some prefer very simple snorkels. Big fancy snorkels tend to get in the way while diving. If you wear them they'll be in the way and possibly make your mask leak, and they can be difficult to stow someplace.

No way for someone to guess if that BC fits you and is right for you. Does it fit well, what have you tried so far, what are your preferences in type and features?

Some people like the combined octo inflators. I think they have many more disadvantages then advantages and prefer a regular octopus. If you haven't read up on the pros and cons and are just thinking it sounds great to eliminate a hose, it would be good to do a little more research first.

Thats a good reg, but there are lots of good regs available. What are your reasons for choosing that one? If you really want that one cool, but if you are price sensitive realize that spending more money on a reg doesn't always get you something much better. And many less expensive regs will work just as well for most diving.

It's not clear if you are certified yet? If not I wouldn't rush on the major purchases, you will have more informed preferences in gear afterwards.

Thanks Damsel...good pointers. Now about tanks, what size do you guys use 80, 100, 120 or 130? What should be my basis for choosing? I'm looking at a couple of steel X7 100 cu. ft. tanks. Thanks again.

the x7 100hp pressure are great tanks,lots of air in a compact,easy to carry around size,wished I had a few more.not cheap though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom