Need Feedback on Recent Diving with Kona Diving Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2O Girl

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - I have some friends that dove with KDC this past summer and appeared to have a number of safety issues, i.e. air turned off on a diver before they entered the water, incorrect weights put into a diver's BC, not having a Nitrox log or equipment to check Nitrox tanks... We are scheduled to dive with KDC next week and wonder if anyone has feedback??? Is this one of those exception issues?? We both have over 125 dives and are Advanced Open Water - we prefer the smaller operations. I specifically chose KDC due to reviews on TripAdvisor and that they do NOT run a cattle car operation. I appreciate any and all feedback and/or suggestions.... Thanks a bunch!

I dove with KDC on 5 seperate trips between Aug 20-26 and must say they were awesome. I thought they did a good job when it came to safety, yet were relaxed at the same time. We had no problems with weight, or nitrox. They had a analyzer on the boat, with attachments to check right off your BC hose. Sorry to here about your friend having his/her air turned off. Ive seen it happen before where the Dive operation has turned on peoples tanks, and the diver turned it off themselves. It can happen, which is a good reason to check and double check, and if your about to drop off the boat and they start messing with your tank to sit back down and check again:) I also booked with them do to tripadvisor recommendations, and couldnt of been happier. They were also great when it came to renting tanks for shore diving between boat dive trips. They would bring us our tanks right to the dock, so we never had to go to the shop except on the first and last day. Hope this helps.

sounds like your friends a new to diving. The diver is responsible for their own gear & set up. If it's not right call the dive.

What days are you diving we are diving with KDC on the 20th day and night and the 22nd long range and the 23rd.

Thanks all - I read the reviews on TripAdvisor and Yelp, however thought it was worthwhile to check here also. I know I am extra careful on checking and rechecking my equipment, weights and set up before the boat leaves the dock AND before getting in the water. (Learned the weight issue the hard way - missed on a GREAT dive due to the DM not putting my weights on the boat and my not checking - never again!) We dive next week and looking forward to BUBBLE time!!!!!:D

KDC is the best dive shop I have used. I went with them last December for 16 dives. Safety was always #1. Nitrox was always dead on accurate, the analyser was on the boat, gear was always double checked. I had my niece with me as a brand new diver. They worked with her, giving her a refresher course on the first dives, and watched over her the entire time. The crew loves to dive, they love the ocean, and love taking care of their customers. You will have a wonderful time, nothing to worry about. I will be back in December and will dive with them again. Enjoy!

We are booked to got go out with them next week Thursday and Friday. Much looking forward to it and will post a report afterwards.

I practiced all summer in the deep end of my pool - 6 feet - doing bubble rings.
I own some tanks, and there's always enough air left over to "play with", sometimes we surface at 1000psi. Freshwater, low visibility.
I've spent 1hr using up barely 300psi at 5-6 feet.

Diving at Paradise Reef & Cozumel in Mexico, I was happy to see many other divers do bubble rings near reefs, and seeing Angel fish scoot to them and take a bite.

I imagine the same happens in Hawaii?

H2O Girl ...

As far as security is concerned - PADI Open Water really "drums" security into the course; perhaps those inexperienced divers weren't Open Water yet, just Discover?
Not once - in over 30 chartered dives and 3 different countries - has someone touched or "set" my gear, even if it was all rental.

The only "hired help" being putting the tanks & weights on/off the boat, and help getting back in the boat.

Back
Top Bottom