Need dive buddy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quinto

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in the Seattle/Tacoma area for a wedding in November; so, it’s heading back to my old stomping grounds from my current home in Hawaii. Can anyone direct me to a good dive charter, or better yet, let me know if you have room for an extra person on a shore or boat dive (willing to chip in for gas and snacks, or take you diving around Oahu when you come this way!). I arrive late Wednesday, Nov 2nd and leave Monday Nov 7th in the morning (the wedding in Fri night). Any help is much appreciated!

I have Tue and Wed off. At this point, I don't have any plans. What time would you get in?

If it would work out, I would drive up from Portland to do a couple of dives. Anyone else interested?

rakjar:
I have Tue and Wed off. At this point, I don't have any plans. What time would you get in?

If it would work out, I would drive up from Portland to do a couple of dives. Anyone else interested?

A very kind offer, but I don't arrive until late Wednesday night. How's about Thursday?

quinto:
I will be in the Seattle/Tacoma area for a wedding in November; so, it’s heading back to my old stomping grounds from my current home in Hawaii. Can anyone direct me to a good dive charter, or better yet, let me know if you have room for an extra person on a shore or boat dive (willing to chip in for gas and snacks, or take you diving around Oahu when you come this way!). I arrive late Wednesday, Nov 2nd and leave Monday Nov 7th in the morning (the wedding in Fri night). Any help is much appreciated!
I should be able to get in a dive or two with you during that time. Post a little closer to the dates you're coming ... or send me a PM to remind me.

My schedule gets a little crazy sometimes ... but I'm always up for taking time off for a dive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

quinto:
Thursday afternoons usually work well for me. BTW don't forget your dry suit or really thick wet suit, the water is a bit cooler up here! :)
I tried out "discover scuba" in Hawaii last November. It got me hooked, and now that I'm certified, I can't wait to get back down there! (my avatar picture is from that trip)

NWGratefulDiver:
I should be able to get in a dive or two with you during that time. Post a little closer to the dates you're coming ... or send me a PM to remind me.

My schedule gets a little crazy sometimes ... but I'm always up for taking time off for a dive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've followed some of your posts (scubaboard forum stalking) and was hoping that you would be able to show me around your favorite dive sites. I look forward to meeting up with you and whomever else can join us.

JasonH20, that was my next question!! I have a 3mm (more than enough for the deepest dives here in HI); what do you recommend for dives near you? I would also need to pick up tanks and weight -- can you you recommend a place at which to do that?

quinto:
]JasonH20, that was my next question!! I have a 3mm (more than enough for the deepest dives here in HI); what do you recommend for dives near you? I would also need to pick up tanks and weight -- can you you recommend a place at which to do that?
Don't think the 3mm will be enough. People that dive wet usually go with a 7mm farmer john. I think a majority dive dry. I know that if I had to dive wet, I'd never dive anywhere on the West Coast.

quinto:
I've followed some of your posts (scubaboard forum stalking) and was hoping that you would be able to show me around your favorite dive sites. I look forward to meeting up with you and whomever else can join us.

JasonH20, that was my next question!! I have a 3mm (more than enough for the deepest dives here in HI); what do you recommend for dives near you? I would also need to pick up tanks and weight -- can you you recommend a place at which to do that?
You will need a 7mm wetsuit, probably farmer-john style ... that's a LOT more neoprene than you're used to. Also you'll need a hood and gloves. I witnessed a couple warm-water divers decide they didn't need a hood at the DUI DOG days event last week-end ... and they didn't last long in the water.

Right now the water temp is 55 degrees ... and that's as warm as it gets. By November it'll be down to around 50 degrees. In a wetsuit you won't get cold in the water (unless we go deep), but you WILL get cold on surface interval. What wetsuit divers do here except in summer weather is to bring jugs or warm water to pour down their wetsuits when they get out of the water.

Most of us who dive regularly own drysuits ... but if you haven't dived one, it won't be worth the cost of training and renting for just a few days worth of diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

quinto:
I have a 3mm (more than enough for the deepest dives here in HI); what do you recommend for dives near you? I would also need to pick up tanks and weight -- can you you recommend a place at which to do that?

Hey bro,
I got your e-mail and decided to join the boards. Yeah, you'll definitely want the 7mm suit, hood & gloves. I go back and forth between diving dry/wet. Just be prepared for the extra weight you'll need as well.

Also, what style of BC are you currently using. Some warm water jackets won't hack it over a much thicker wetsuit so you may want to rent a BC as well.

If you want, we can do a dive (just you and me at maybe Edmonds) to get you used to all the new equipment before you jump into a group dive. We can buoyancy test you to get the weight nailed and just tool around for a bit. That way when we do the group dive, you'll enjoy it more.

Let me know what you want to do. You've got my numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom