Need directions in South Fl. down to Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for the most efficient and economical way through and or around Miami. Do not want to spend the entire time on the turnpike. Especially when the toll booths start hitting every few miles.

We will be taking the turnpike from Orlando over to I-95. Where should I get back off I-95 onto the turnpike or I-75 or Krome Ave to make the best time to the Keys? This will be around midnight or later (Thursday night)when I hit Miami so hopefully traffic will not be an issue.

Thanks for the help.

One more question. What is the time difference by taking the turnpike from Orlando (@ Wildwood) vs. staying on I-75 to get to Miami?

You may not want to stay on the turnpike, but that's the best option. Take the turnpike to the end, it'll drop you on US 1 in Florida City, a short hop to the Keys.

Turnpike is not all that expensive, especially if you have a SunPass. Well worth it.

Stay on the tpke and avoid 95 like the plague

yeah, the turnpike is the best option,

DebbyDiver:
Turnpike is not all that expensive, especially if you have a SunPass. Well worth it.

I think it was 4 bucks from Fort Lauderdale to the end without SunPass. Slowing down to pay the tolls is the biggest hassel and that's much better than the alternatives.

Sounds like I will be taking the turnpike. I plan to stop and get a Sunpass although I will not be able to use it until the return trip.

Thanks for the replies

I used to commute from Dania Beach to Key Largo and back every weekend and the Turnpike (with a SunPass) was truly the very best, hassle-free way to go. Heck, $4 is less than you'll pay for a Pina Colada!

When do you leave? You might be able to get a SunPass right away. Explore their webpage to see.

I used to figure that I saved at least 20 minutes each way with the SunPass by not having to stop at the tollbooth! With the price of gas, it pays for itself.

I just re-read your original post; you're coming through the TPK very late at night, you'll be able to zip right through those tollbooths if you don't want to lay out the $$$ for a SunPass.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom