Need comments on Komodo itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badkao

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys (and gals),

Need your expert opinion again on the follow itinerary for Komodo Island.

Day 1
arrive Labuan Bajo. Transfer to boat.
Check dive at Sabolon or Sebayur
Meals onboard.

Day 2
Full day diving
Current ciy, Tatawa Besar and Pink beach

Day 3
Full day diving
morning visit to Komodo National Park.
Diving at Damar Island and Leokshera.

Day 4
Manta ally, yellow wall, cannibal rock

Day 5
morning dive
Gili Lawa Laut channel, pulau toko

Day 6
breakfast onboard. Disembark and transfer to airport for flight to Bali.

QUESTIONS-
1) In order to maximize dive time and to use our time more effectively. Do you guys think it makes more sense to move Komodo park visit from Day 3 to Day 5 afternoon? essentially using our "decompression" time to visit komodo park and have more time diving on day 3. Any logistical concerns?

2) what do you guys think of the sites? are we missing any "must see" sites? fyi- we are more interested in school of fish and large pelagics, whale sharks..etc.

3) any sites that are worth more than 1 dive? in other words, any sites that we should spend more time with?

4) i welcome any comments/and or suggestions.

Mahalo.

badkao

Crystal Rock, Castle Rock, GPS Point, at least a full day in Horseshoe Bay. Go ashore in morning to walk with dragons. Park is close to Pink Beach.

I am also missing Crystal rock and Castle Rock here, specially for the bigger stuff, Horseshoe Bay (Yellow wall & Cannibal Rock) is awesome, but is genuine macro-country, no big things.
It's a short itinerary and quiet good otherwise in that amount of time.
GPS-point used to be amazing, true, but is completely blown away and all the sharks are gone now...

Have fun, Komodo has some of the best diving around

Tks guys. What's at Crystal rock and castle rock?

2 sites close to one another in the north of the park, current prone and therefor attracting pelagic life and shark. I had even a dive there ones with dolphins!! Reefhook can come in handy here, enjoy the show...

I like the sites around Rinca too, like Penga and it's probably better to look for dragons from Rinca ranger station, better chances to spot them than on Komodo. Sometimes people don't even see them on Komodo, hence they go to Loh Buaya (Rinca).

Hence I would skip Sebayor on the first day, head to Penga (gorgonians) + Wainilu (Macro) and go for dragon hunting on Rinca. I've heard there's also a manta ray cleaning station in Karang Makasar, nearby... maybe you could swap Wainilu for Karang Makasar...
I know this plan is not compatible with your day off idea for decompression matters, but on the other hand, your liveabord is very short, I don't feel it needs a decompression day off, Komodo dives are not that deep also.

Perhaps on day 3, as there will not be any Dragon visit, you would like to go AGAIN at current city/Batu Bolong which really impressed me. :wink:

Near Gili Lawa Laut - Crystal Rock (breaks at high tide) & about 1 km north is Castle Rock (always submerged)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom