Need camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

r00t0fallevil

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Well, I am a novice diver and a novice photographer. Any recommendations on a decent digital camera that can go to 130 feet? I am looking to spend around $250.00

Thanks!

I am looking for one also. I would like it to have optical zoom and at least 3.0 MP. I know that will be over $500 but would like some models that are available. And do they work well on land too.

I presently have 2 digital cameras and would like to switch one for an underwater camera.

Thanks

r00t0fallevil:
Hey everyone...

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Well, I am a novice diver and a novice photographer. Any recommendations on a decent digital camera that can go to 130 feet? I am looking to spend around $250.00

Thanks!
You might all have better luck posting in the Underwater Photography main forum. Or PM0 a moderator to move this thread there.

This sub-forum deals with:

"This is the place to share those Photoshop, PS Elements, Paintshop Pro, etc. techniques on how you did what you do. I hope those of you who are more proficient with the programs will help the rest of us learn them."

I wish I could help with your questions, but I shoot video.

You could also ask in the camera forums, I'm sure Canon, Olympus etc. make cameras in the price range you're interested in that can be housed reasonably.

Steve

I doubt you'll find one that does optical zoom while in a housing.

for the first poster.
You can get an "el cheapo" for under $250, but you'll wish you got a better one.

I think I'm about to buy this one. (when Uncle Sam sends my refund check).
It's in a housing and can be removed for land pics also.

SeaLife DC310 Digital Camera and Housing 3.3MP Camera and Housing $359
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_SL148.asp

With the strobe is about $500
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_SL145.asp
(but I've already got the strobe from my 35mm version of the camera).

You can get a better camera than this, but it depends on what your needs are. If you're gung-ho into photography, you'll want a better camera. If you just want a point and shoot to take some cool pics to share your dive with others, which is what I want, this will work great for you.

my 2 cents worth. hope it helps some.

-mike

Moved to U/W Photography for more exposure.

My $0.02

If you are a novice diver.....wait until you get more experience and have your buoyancy control well tuned. Not only will a camera be a task overload, you will most likely be a "Reef Crasher" until your buoyancy is in check.

Get a camera that has manual controls. There is not a camera made where auto controls will give you a decent picture a very high percentage of the time. The great thing about digital is that you can shoot topside (for free) and get to where adjusting your aperture & shutter speed is second nature. Something such as an Olympus 5060 in an Olympus housing will run your around $600. Add an external strobe when you can afford it. If you buy a camera with all auto controls you will outgrow it VERY fast. Might as well spend a little more up-front...it will save you $$$ in the long run.

HTH,
Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom