Need camera suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avlena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I've been using a Pentax s5i point & shoot for the past few years, and it's time to upgrade. I've never done underwater photography before, but since we're diving a lot more now, I'd like to keep that in mind when selecting a camera setup. Probably can't buy a strobe quite yet, but I'd like to get the camera & housing now.

If underwater wasn't a consideration, I'd definitely get the Canon G9. I've seen & heard a lot of awesome reviews for it, and it seems to be a good stepping stone to a "serious" camera (my Pentax's claim to fame is that it fits inside an altoids tin - not really a hardcore camera!).

So, the dry land aspect of the camera seems to be great, but what about the underwater part? Is it a good camera for diving, or are there any other suggestions for a similar one?

Thanks!
-Avlena

Hi everyone,

I've been using a Pentax s5i point & shoot for the past few years, and it's time to upgrade. I've never done underwater photography before, but since we're diving a lot more now, I'd like to keep that in mind when selecting a camera setup. Probably can't buy a strobe quite yet, but I'd like to get the camera & housing now.

If underwater wasn't a consideration, I'd definitely get the Canon G9. I've seen & heard a lot of awesome reviews for it, and it seems to be a good stepping stone to a "serious" camera (my Pentax's claim to fame is that it fits inside an altoids tin - not really a hardcore camera!).

So, the dry land aspect of the camera seems to be great, but what about the underwater part? Is it a good camera for diving, or are there any other suggestions for a similar one?

Thanks!
-Avlena

Avlena,

Check out this thread on the same subject for some good recommendations.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/230726-dive-camera-setup.html

The G9 is a fantastic camera. Though I mostly use my Nikon for surface stuff, the G9 can shine just as well on land as it does underwater. I've really learned a lot since I got mine.

Here are a couple land and sea shots I took with my G9 so you can evaluate for yourself. :)

2437654313_f096fbbb4a.jpg

2437639467_8be353faef.jpg

2431959801_f84c9f3644.jpg

2431986191_7da1023510.jpg

Thanks, I'm using the G9 in the Ikelite housing with a single Ikelite DS-51 strobe.

The two shots above were natural light shots taken very shallow on a sunny day.

Here is one that was taken deeper with the strobe for light.

2396366239_4aef435f44.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom