Need battery replaced in Aladin Air Z, told no longer serviced.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cicopo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've tried using Scubapro's contact us system but haven't had any form of reply so I'll ask here.

In 1996 I purchased the original model of air integrated Aladin Wrist mount computer which I was told came with free batteries for life. In 2004 it needed the battery replaced but my original dealer was long gone so I contacted the Canadian distributor for help. They directed me to another shop I hadn't heard of but I contacted them & got directions & took my computer, transmitter & original invoice in to have it all sent for new batteries. I was however told that model had "issues" & was sort of recalled & I needed to purchase the newer version at a "special" price (because I could prove I was the original owner) of $600 which I decided was my best option & it would also come with the free batteries for life policy. Eventually (not sure of the exact year) it needed batteries so I went back to the dealer who packaged it up & shipped it to California for the battery servicing. All I had to pay was round trip shipping. Now it's time for another servicing but the same dealer claims it's most likely no longer serviced nor would a battery change be free IF it was still serviced. They are willing to send it in at my cost, quoted $200 for the servicing but warned me that Scubapro may keep it rather than service it & I'd need to buy a new computer outright. I find that hard to believe which is why I'm here looking for accurate information. Why would I scrap a fully working computer that in total cost me $2200 Cdn because it needs a new battery. A battery which from Internet searches seems to be easily found & very inexpensive relative to what I spent buying my computers.

Try Brady
Uwatec battery replacement service

I threw out my Sport Ultra about 6 years ago and bought a Suunto. I overpay for the battery replacement kit at close to $20 but it comes with an o-ring, a battery and a plastic tool that fits the cover holes.

Thank you. I may send it there since it looks like they do service it & at a reasonable price. For now I'll see what other suggestions get posted.

Not an uncommon question. It's a possible DIY, but there are a number of problems to overcome that are daunting if you've never done it before. I used the above linked service and that worked fine for me.

Thank you. For the price on their web site I'd use them vs DIY even though I could likely do it based on the 1 video I found. DIY would only happen if there wasn't a good option.

I have successfully changed the battery in mine. Have since sold it.
The transmitter is the problematic one. Older units had volatile memory.
The link for service posted above is a fair price. I believe I was into mine for $22 (battery and oil).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom