need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jj556

New
Reaction score
Hello I am not a diver but recently got an opportunity to earn my dive master cert in return for working for a tourist attraction for a year. I've always wanted to dive. I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it is to make a career out of diving?

Give it a try!

But I'm not saying it is easy.

Good Luck & Good Diving.

From non-diver to Dive Master??? This process normally takes time. Minimum PADI requirements for completing Dive Master is 40 to start and 60 dives before completion, including completing the Open Water, Advanced and Rescue programs before even begining the Dive Master program.The DM is essentially a saftey officer and assistant to an instructor and actual experience diving is a key element in this evolution. It is a great goal to shoot for but I would be concerned if the shop is expecting a rapid transition to DM.

You should also be concerned as you are not elligable for liability insurance or any form of support from a dive program agency (I'm PADI) in the event of a problem. You have a student bolt to the surface and you are advertized as the DM and are unprepared/untrained/uncertified to handle, you open your self, the instructor, the shop and the student into significant legal problems.

I made a living diving but there are few jobs like the one I had. I was a marine technician at a university. Had friends that made money as instructors at dive shops and dive masters on tourist boats. They loved diving more than money. I believe those that make very good money diving are exceptional at what they are doing underwater. Adventure-Ocean

Easy to make a career out of being a DM or instructor, Money, not so easy. Exotic locals will pay peanuts for the most part. Making a living is possible, provided your needs are very simple and you have no plans to ever retire or live above the poverty level of what ever country you are in. It is a lifestyle kind of like surfing around the world. Lots of great fun, but not a long term future for most. Note there are exceptions.

Welcome,

Making a living as a divemaster? Not going to happen easy. You need to be at least an instructor to earn even a modest living. Even then you need to build a good resume and get experience working with new divers to land a job in exotic locations.

I spent 16 years working around the world as an instructor. The first 3 were really tough making ends meet.

But do not let me burst your bubble, and do not mistake me. It is a great living, and I really enjoyed it. But its not as easy as it sounds.

Finally, much depends on the type of instructor you become. It's not YOU being a good diver (that's presumed). It's how well you teach, how empathetic you are, are you a people person etc etc etc etc etc

But good luck, and go for it. Having your DM cert is great even if you to not want to take it up as a profession, it'll round you off as a good competent diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom