Need advice/suggestions For Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Pelican Adventures and they run a very nice operation. Avoid the Perdenalis wreck. There wasn't much to see on that dive. The Antilla wreck was a very nice dive and so was the Jane Sea wreck (or something like that).

I just got back from Aruba last week. Did 7 dives with red sail. I had read all the posts about them (and seen a bunch of post recommending pelican over them). But I chose red sail because they were close to my hotel (they're near the hyatt) and they offered packages. This was my first series of boat dives (after being certified), so I have little to compare them to. But they seemed fine. The boats weren't overly crowded, even though I was there for president's week (peak season). Maybe 10 divers per boat max? The crew was good. They were friendly and even helped me set up my new gear. Charlie was especially helpful. The boats were clean and had a lot of room (you weren't packed in like sardines). I did have a few complaints: First, I booked a package and reserved all of my dives in advance. They even sent me an e-mail confirming the dives. Then suddenly, I get an e-mail saying that a few of my dives were "unavailable" due to a schedule change. As it turns out, they cancel your reservation in the event that a cruise ship or large group wants to charter the whole boat. I complained and threatened to cancel all of my dives and they agreed to put me back on the dive (i.e. with the charter). The charter cancelled, so it was back to the normal schedule anyway. My other complaint would be that they decided to cancel my scheduled night dive while I was there. The only problem was that they made no effort whatsoever to tell me. I happened to confirm the dive in advance, which was lucky. If I didn't, i would have been sitting at the dock with my gear... Would I dive with them again? Probably. The management needs to learn how to better serve customers, but the crew/divemasters were fine. My only complaint about the DM's is that they weren't overly concerned with keeping all of the divers together (i.e. you could easily wander away and it wouldn't be a big deal). I'll bet some divers prefer this, but as a newbie, I don't. Some people on this board rave about the smaller operators. I imagine that you get more attention from them (smaller groups, etc.). But their boats don't offer the amenities of red sail. Also, check where they dock the boats -- it didn't seem like there were too many of the smaller operators near the high rise hotels...

Good dives? Antilla and Pedarnalis are good first dives (i.e. first post-cert dives). They're easy and shallow. But the vis varies (maybe 20 feet?) and you don't see too much. I liked the jane C the best, and a drift dive on a reef that's near by...
Hope this helps!

ClassAction:
I did have a few complaints: First, I booked a package and reserved all of my dives in advance. They even sent me an e-mail confirming the dives. Then suddenly, I get an e-mail saying that a few of my dives were "unavailable" due to a schedule change. As it turns out, they cancel your reservation in the event that a cruise ship or large group wants to charter the whole boat. I complained and threatened to cancel all of my dives and they agreed to put me back on the dive (i.e. with the charter). The charter cancelled, so it was back to the normal schedule anyway. My other complaint would be that they decided to cancel my scheduled night dive while I was there. The only problem was that they made no effort whatsoever to tell me. I happened to confirm the dive in advance, which was lucky. If I didn't, i would have been sitting at the dock with my gear... Would I dive with them again? Probably.

After reading your report, I definitely wouldn't dive with them and you shouldn't either. Canceling your reserved dives because a large group wanted to charter the boat is B.S. Not telling you the night dive was cancelled was also inexcusable.

I'll be in Aruba for a week in June. I already scratched Red Sail from consideration because of reports like yours and will dive with Unique.

I agree that it was BS. I'm usually more demanding that it appears in my post. It's just that I was on vacation and staying at the hyatt (the boat is right in front of the hotel). It was just too easy to ignore the poor service, etc., for the sake of not having anything bother me during my vacation. But to be fair, I did really like the crew.

Unique's boat docks lust a few hotels away. I saw it -- it was nice but much smaller. I'm not sure if there's even a place for shade on it -- check this if that's important to you. Let me know whether you like them. Maybe I'll try them in the future.

ClassAction:
Unique's boat docks lust a few hotels away. I saw it -- it was nice but much smaller. I'm not sure if there's even a place for shade on it -- check this if that's important to you. Let me know whether you like them. Maybe I'll try them in the future.

I picked Unique because they had decent reviews plus I'm staying at the Aruba Grand which is where their shop/boat is.

When I was in Aruba & used Native Divers, Vanessa picked us up in her car & drove us to the dock. She also drove us back after the dive. You have to bring your gear w/ you each time, but the personal attention out weighs the lugging of the gear.

Red Sail is famous for bumping divers to take care of the cruise ship crowd. It doesn't matter what the DM's are like or how few people they put on their boats, if you don't get to dive.

Great place to stay and a very nice dive operation.

ronrosa:
I picked Unique because they had decent reviews plus I'm staying at the Aruba Grand which is where their shop/boat is.

Indybob:
We've contacted Clive and made a reservation for a two tank trip on
March 5th.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

I am also going to Aruba in April and would like to get in touch with Clive ahead of time to set up some dives. I have read a lot about him on different threads and am looking forward to diving with him. If you have a number, website or email for him, please pass it along

thanks

Carl

carlreid:
I am also going to Aruba in April and would like to get in touch with Clive ahead of time to set up some dives. I have read a lot about him on different threads and am looking forward to diving with him. If you have a number, website or email for him, please pass it along

thanks

Carl

I would have to say the best dive op I found in aruba is Clive with Dive aruba. www.divearuba.com

The only time we ran into another dive op "red sail" at one of the wrecks we were all going through the wreck as red sail divers were just peaking in the holes.

He gives great personal attention and no cattle drives. most people ever was 6 and one was my non diving non swiming girlfriend.

Aruba is just a great place people are way too nice and lots of topside things to do.

Rent a jeep drive yourself all over its great.

have fun

Jared

Back
Top Bottom