Need advice on steel HP tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lostinlobsterville

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody last year I sold all my al80 tanks and bought HP Steel 117s, The shop I bought them at has been good to me in the past and I never had a bad fill with the AL80s. In the last six months its been nothing but excusses on why they can't get the tanks to 3442 psi. So my question for you is does anybody else have this problem? I have resorted to tipping the guy who fiils my tanks 20 bucks every time I pick them up and the psi is over 3500 psi. Please help me out?

in the fashion of Walter...No
go to fill express, they will do you right

Your profile lists you as an Inst.. Do it yourself.

lostinlobsterville:
Hi everybody last year I sold all my al80 tanks and bought HP Steel 117s, The shop I bought them at has been good to me in the past and I never had a bad fill with the AL80s. In the last six months its been nothing but excusses on why they can't get the tanks to 3442 psi. So my question for you is does anybody else have this problem? I have resorted to tipping the guy who fiils my tanks 20 bucks every time I pick them up and the psi is over 3500 psi. Please help me out?
Have you asked them why they can't fill your tanks to the level you desire?

Alot of shops have a problem filling HP tanks. They must be filled slower, which shops don't want to do (time is money), They should not be filled dry as they heat up quickly and give false readings. Some shops don't have the compressor capacity to fill HP tanks.
You may have to switch shops.

Just leave the tanks overnight, and when you pick them up, request that they top them off. A lot of shops won't fill beyond 3442. Not matter how slowly they fill the tank, there will be some cooling. Another problem is that a lot of shops can only go up to 3500 with their banked air. To get you to the beach at 3500 they need to go to 3700. My favorite fill person hooks up directly to the compressor for the extra 200. Tipping $20 on an airfill seems excessive. This kid goes the extra mile just because he sees me all the time and I'm always nice to him.

Another solution is to trade in HP for LP. Good luck doing that right now. My local shop can't get any LP tanks until december.

... wont fill beyond 3442 ? .. heh, with that line of thinking when your tanks, filled to their rated press of 3442 at X degrees f (75*?) goes up because the tank is warmer than that temp ... then you should let some out because their now "over" pressure, aren't they? :wink:

... go someplace else like FillExpress that understands what their doing better, and will cost you less

lostinlobsterville:
While I agree with everyone that you should find a shop that understands how to fill 3442 tanks, you do realize that if the shop only fills those 117s to 3000psi you still get 102cf of gas?

I need to leave them overnight but I get good fills at 3442 for my 119cf tanks at my LDS.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom