Need advice on next level camera purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heymo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Canon Powershot SD600 with an underwater housing I have been using for the past 8 months as my beginning underwater camera. It takes some good shots, but we are diving more and deeper and I am at the limitations of this camera. I am somewhat overwhelmed at the choices out there for a new camera setup. I don 't want to carry a big rig, and am not sure I am ready for a DSLR. What would be a good next logical upgrade to the system I have? I was going to just add a tray and strobe, but I would have to rig up some kind of diffuser and havce a slave strobe since there is no way to use on with the model housing I have.

What I have been looking at in the way of upgrades are:

Nikon Coolpix P5000 with an Ikelite housing and DS51 Substrobe
Sea & Sea DX-860G with YS-27DX strobe

The photographer at our local dive shop is recommending buying the Nikon D40X DSLR and getting the housing and lenses to go with. And while it looks great, I'm not sure if it's more camera than I need right now. I have a good eye for composition and such, but have had limited experience with SLR cameras.

We have a trip to St. Croix next month and a trip to Thailand in december, and I know the camera I have right now is not sufficient.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks!

I have a Canon Powershot SD600 with an underwater housing I have been using for the past 8 months as my beginning underwater camera. It takes some good shots, but we are diving more and deeper and I am at the limitations of this camera. I am somewhat overwhelmed at the choices out there for a new camera setup. I don 't want to carry a big rig, and am not sure I am ready for a DSLR. What would be a good next logical upgrade to the system I have? I was going to just add a tray and strobe, but I would have to rig up some kind of diffuser and havce a slave strobe since there is no way to use on with the model housing I have.

What I have been looking at in the way of upgrades are:

Nikon Coolpix P5000 with an Ikelite housing and DS51 Substrobe
Sea & Sea DX-860G with YS-27DX strobe

The photographer at our local dive shop is recommending buying the Nikon D40X DSLR and getting the housing and lenses to go with. And while it looks great, I'm not sure if it's more camera than I need right now. I have a good eye for composition and such, but have had limited experience with SLR cameras.

We have a trip to St. Croix next month and a trip to Thailand in december, and I know the camera I have right now is not sufficient.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

thanks!

A strobe is probably your most cost effective next step. Something like the INON d2000 which can be fired optically. The people at Reef Photo & Video are a great source of equipment and knowledge. www.reefphoto.com

Wow I'm jealous, St Croix then Thailand...definitely need to make sure you have a nice camera for those trips.

Both options you mentioned are nice. However, the Nikon 5000 is going to give you a better picture and more versatility. Set that baby up in the Ike housing and with the Ds-51 and you have a pretty nice system. You can also add an accessory wide angle lens from Ikelite or Inon for added versatility.

As far as the D40x goes, its a great camera! One thing I always say is its better to have something you can grow into, than something you will grow out of. While you may not be experienced with SLRs, there is only one way to learn...practice with one! And once you see the end results, just from your first dives, you will be quite pleased. However, there is of course the price difference. For the D40x you can go with Ike, or Aquatica recently announced an aluminum housing for the D40x at a very attractive price.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Thanks so much for the info. It is quite a step up in price for either set up, and I suppose you are right about growing into the camera. I found a decent package on the Nikon camera ($869.99 w/ 2 lenses, carrying cases, tripod,etc. but by the time I add a housing ($1200-1400 depending on which brand) and a strobe I'm looking at $4000. That's a big step for me. The Nikon Coolpix would run about $1800 with the camera, housing, strobe, wide angle lens and the tray. BIG difference.

I looked into a similar dilemma and opted to go with the Canon G9. I was thinking of going dSLR, but since I do a fair amount of shore diving, I do not want a large system. Also, having a lighter setup to carry overseas was a factor for my trips (fewer than you apparently with St Croix and Thailand)...

Growing into a camera is important. Drop 1800 now to end up dropping another 4000 in another 8 months or so can be a pricey endeavor. If you are happy with the SD600, you may want to just go dSLR now and use the SD600 for those light packing trips, etc.

Take a look at the new Sea & Sea DX-1G camera. The camera and housing combo retails for 995 or so. The camera is a 10.1mp camera made by Ricoh. Its compact, durable, very clean and nice, and integrates well with all Sea & Sea strobes. You can get a complete package with strobe, case, camera, housing, everything ready to go for under 2k...this is the newest in the DX series of cameras, and everyone of them has been an excellent performer underwater!

I'd have to go with the Nikon in an Ikelite housing with strobe. More money but all componets are of high quality. I use an SLR in a housing and they are, indeed, a PITA. My experience with Sea and Sea have not been as positive as with the Nikon P&S cameras. Another plus is that if you decide to go DSLR at some later time, that strobe will still be useable. I have pics in the gallery - <uwteach>

Thanks for all your input. I am looking at the new Sea & Sea, I really think for now I am going to stay with a point and shoot for the time being. Thanks again for all your input!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom