Need Advice for North or South Carolina area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snake

Registered
Reaction score
Just moved to little river so carolina. My dive buddy is comming to dive here in two weeks, any suggestions we are able to drive and stay for a couple days if it is far. are there any any places that are economical.
Thanks

In my neck of the woods here in upstate South Carolina there Lake Jocasse. You can camp there or rent log cabins. You can get a charter from "off the wall" to take you a bunch of places or you can go to the "ramp" which is free... its just 3 boat ramps where 2 have been barricaded and there usually alot of divers there and some classes going on.

If you're into wreck diving there is a really great dive operation out of Moorehead City, NC, called Olympus dive center

Last edited:
I second what tomboyy Lake Jocassee is a realy good dive lots of veriaty and a nice place to hang out and just south (ish ) is lake Keowee . Here is the of the wall web sight www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html this will give you an Idea ov the dive sights
WELLCOME TO sb

Little River is a stones throw from Ocean Isle, so you might want to check that thread in this forum.

Coastal Scuba runs out of Little River, so you might not have to travel anywhere.

The Morehead/Beaufort area is what you read about in national magazines when it comes to NC Wreck diving. You can find dive ops with bunkhouse lodging if you decide to make that trip.

Don't overlook Wilmington, or the wrecks in your own area. 18 Fathom, Hebe, St. Cathan, are all great wrecks once you build up the experience to make those dives (and the stomach for the boat rides).

olympus is tops (going with them this sat and sunday) and discovery diving is second though there are several other good operations out of morehead/beaufort. not a big fan of coastal as their boats are small and they don't go out far enough for good visibility. aquatic safaris is good in wilmington.

jwc3- thanks for the links! My wife and I are planning a road trip to NC in Sept- she's going to park at a beach for a day with one of our daughters while I go visit Olympus and hopefully get a dive in to the U-352, been a dream of mine for a while now. Then we're going to spend the day a few hours south and take a dolphin watch cruise....really looking forward to some west and wewaxation!!!

I second what tomboyy Lake Jocassee is a realy good dive lots of veriaty and a nice place to hang out and just south (ish ) is lake Keowee . Here is the of the wall web sight www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html this will give you an Idea ov the dive sights
WELLCOME TO sb

A third for Lake Jocassee - nice clear water. Bill at the Jocassee Dive Shop / Off The Wall Charters is top notch, knows the lake like the back of his hand and can take you to any and all of the dive spots for a reasonable price. He also does trips to the Cooper river for megalodon teeth and other "artifacts".

At Jocassee the grave yard at about 135' is a cool dive, but borders on technical. There is an old Chinese Junk (teak wood ship) sunk near the "wall" at about 60', and the area between the "wall" and the damn you can explore the cliffs. Neighboring lake Keowee - short drive from Jocassee - there is an old water pump house facility that is pretty cool, but a bit technical due to the overhead - about 40' to 50' to the top of the main building - take a reel and lights if you plan to go inside.

Back
Top Bottom