Need advice for cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texswamper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are new to diving and will be cruising to St. Thomas, Grenada, St. Kitts, Bonaire and Aruba. I know we will be diving on Bonaire, but which of the other islands should not be missed. We probably only want to dive about 3 of the islands. Any advice would be much appreciated.

St Thomas, and St Kitts. St Thomas will be a good place for you as a new diver. Lots of shallow dives with very little current.

Thanks for your advice. We had been told that St. Thomas had good shallow dives for new divers.

I have dived in both St Thomas and St Kitts while cruising. I found that the groups were smaller in St Kitts so the service was more personal. Also the seas were a lot calmer, but that of course depends on the time of year. Most of the St Kitts dives are a very short boat trip and ideal depths for a "newbie", currents are virtually non existent.
I am now based in St Kitts so i am of course going to say "come to our beautiful dive sites"
Enjoy your diving wherever you go.

We are taking the same itinerary next week (11/24-12/1) and plan on diving in all 5 ports. I will post a trip report when we return.

Hope that will help - unless you are on the same cruise, in which case, let me know and I will fill you in on our plans andyou can join us. (We are only using the ship's excursion in Grenada, due to the short port time).

Thanks for the info, but now another question comes to mind for you guys. We planned to use the Princess dive excursions since we would be brand new and not experienced. Is that a mistake?

We will be going to Key Largo the first of February to do our open water certification dives. Therefore, we will only have 3 days of diving under our belt before cruising the end of March. All of your expertise and advice is appreciated.

I am a newbie as well and did the same thing after receiving certification. Two things that I would suggest: First, be up front with your divemasters, let them know that you are new and that you would like to be either buddied with them or tell them you'd appreciate them keeping their eye on you. They have been very accomodating to me in this respect. Second, be sure that others in your dive group know that this is your first time out as a OW diver. You'll MOSTLY get great support, there is always someone that had Aqua-Lung on their umbilical cord at birth, but that happens in any sport. I would also suggest trying out one of the local dive operators not associated with the cruise line. Some will do small groups and it is a real change from the cruise ship operators, but I had very good luck with the operators used by Holland-American on our cruises. The local operators are a little more personal and you tend to get a little more of the local flavor. I would suggest that you do this on one of the longer port stays. Either way, you'll have a great time. Remember to dive in your limits and follow instruction, it will be everything you've expected.

I would agree with Henryg, I think it is better to arrange your own dives than use the boat's operator. But do your research on the dive schools in the ports you are visting. Email them with your questions and see what response you get. Ask whether the dives are led or if the DM stays on the boat. Always be upfront with the DM's about your experience and also with your fellow divers. Most divers will want to help and support you. Your first time out in OW is a wonderful experience, enjoy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom