Need adaptations after spinal fusion surgery.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice.

Has anyone done this or seen this?
I recently dived on a Rubber Inflatable Boat, and we all sat on the edge while the crew assisted us with our equipment (recreational and technical divers). Then we rolled off the side. As the others have suggested, just hand up the weights and gear. We also assisted others by pulling them up; with the weather running wild.

I just got the OK from my surgeon that I can return to diving after having my lower spine fused a year ago. But I have a giant problem now. I can't bend at the waist anymore and I can't lift more than 40 lbs.

My new rules are that I have to don & doff my gear in the water, and have my dive buddy or the boat crew put it in the water & lift it back out into the boat for me. My buddy will do this for me, but I want to make it easier on him.

With the tank, regs, weights & stuff my gear is nearly 70 lbs! (45 is the tank alone.) I'm thinking that there must be a way to lower a bag into the water so I could put some / most of my weight in that before having someone lift the rest of my stuff out.

Has anyone done this or seen this? I don't want to give up diving but there's a limit on what I can have others do for me, too. Please help!

Have you considered sidemount? You could gear up on land and put your tanks on in the water. If you're only diving recreationally, you could easily dive two AL 40s - that'd be much easier to pass up to a boat or buddy.

Back
Top Bottom