Need a way to signal divers (underwater) from the boat (with sound)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WebmasterJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Going to be doing a little diving in a place that the weather changes very quickly.
I am looking for a way to signal divers who are underwater that they need to come up.

Divers will be in 30-60ft of water
The visibility is under 10ft so using light/strobe is not an option
Divers will be diving into current and may be up to 100yards away from the boat (up-current)
There is a moderate amount of boat traffic in the area so revving the motor on the boat will not be sufficient, nor will rapping on the fiberglass boat hull.

Would like something that is simple to use, very audible underwater in the case that we need to bring divers up quickly, and can be clearly identified by divers underwater.

Tried one of the BCD inflator hose integrated signaling devices, they are crazy loud on the surface but the quack noise underwater doesn't quite make enough noise.

Not sure if there is such a thing but if there is I figure someone here might know.

Thanks,

J

piece of pipe and a hammer..... put it part way in the water and strike it. Novel use for an old scuba tank that has failed hydro. Just cut the end off......

If you can get em in your area M80's come with waterproof fuses. That'll.get their attention.

That is a joke in case the nannies see this and have no sense of humor.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

:goingdown::bomb: -> :nuke: -> :skull: ->:blessing:
:ss:

Last edited:
If you can get em in your area M80's come with waterproof fuses. That'll.get their attention.

That is a joke in case the nannies see this and have no sense of humor...

A joke, that was standard procedure for years! It's a good idea to make sure there aren't any bubbles around when you drop it though.

I thought about the M-80 but have not been able to get the quality ones I played with as a kid :)
That coupled with the fact that I hate to leave anything behind in the water, I may give the metal pipe/hammer suggestion a try if there are no other suggestions.

Thanks

Keep in mind that while some may be 300 ft away that others could be right under the boat.

Maybe get an underwater speaker system and play the theme for Jaws?

OCEANEARS - Acoustic Diver Recall Systems

---------- Post added October 31st, 2013 at 03:29 PM ----------

I thought about the M-80 but have not been able to get the quality ones I played with as a kid :)

Thanks

The BATFE in their wisdom has classified these as destructive devices, the same as grenades and mortar rounds.

I've seen the "pound on the metal dive ladder with a weight/hammer/etc." Let's not forget the more scary "rev the engine"-hopefully with the boat in neutral... yeah, that sound REALLY made me want to approach the boat..not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom