Need a new mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ColinCB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My old mask has a rip in the skirt and it's constantly leaking water. Need a new one!

First off I have a wider, flatter, korean/asian face.

Requirements:

BLACK skirt
Low Volume
Frameless/Single Lens

Anybody have info on the Hollis M-1, looks real nice, but I don't know about fit. DR also has one, and so does scubapro.

There is no other ways to tell if a mask fits or not except to dive with it. I have oriental face too and no matter how many people swear about how good Atomic and Scubapro Frameless are, they flooded the instant I touch water. No they didn't leak. They FLOODED!!! Atomic is hopeless for me, but I managed to have the Scubapro Frameless on my face a couple of minute by tightening some of my facial muscle, sort of like faking a smile for photo. Then it flooded when my facial muscle became tired and relaxed.

I am now diving with Scubapro Trinidad (same as XS Scuba Merge), Gull Abeam and Hollis M1. They all fit me except I have a slight and manageable leak with Hollis M1.

YMMV

Well I was going to recommend the Atomic Frameless but it looks like that won't work. Are there any masks manufactured and sold in Asia that are more specific to the anatomy of your ancestry?

I didn't work on me. Doesn't mean it won't work on the OP or others. It just shows it is difficult to choose a mask just because others find it fit.

Yea. The mask I had wasn't a great fit either, it leaked no matter what.

I think it's my high cheekbones. The SP frameless seemed to fit well, but I'm not sure.

On the M-1 Where do you find the leak occurs?

Note: I have no facial hair...

Yea. The mask I had wasn't a great fit either, it leaked no matter what.

I think it's my high cheekbones. The SP frameless seemed to fit well, but I'm not sure.

On the M-1 Where do you find the leak occurs?

Note: I have no facial hair...

I don't know where it leaks. Just found water inside after about 15 mins. Just a small puddle. I can leave with it.

There is no "seemed to fit" or "should fit" in choosing a mask. The only way you can tell is to dive it. Find a LDS who can let you try it in the pool or rent it or borrow it from friends. All the masks I mentioned, whether they flooded/leaked or not, passed the vacuum test when I tried them on in the store.

there is also the Edge Frameless. Low volume, black or clear skirt, made to fit a wider variety of faces. I have one black and one clear in stock. Can get it to you by the end of the week if you order today. 39.99 plus $5 shipping. Try it for two weeks. If it does not fit send it back and I'll refund your purchase price minus postage as long as there are no rips, tears, scratches, or missing parts. So at best you get a mask that fits for $45. at worst you are out $5 plus whatever it costs you to send it back. Or resell it to friend.

there is also the Edge Frameless. Low volume, black or clear skirt, made to fit a wider variety of faces. I have one black and one clear in stock. Can get it to you by the end of the week if you order today. 39.99 plus $5 shipping. Try it for two weeks. If it does not fit send it back and I'll refund your purchase price minus postage as long as there are no rips, tears, scratches, or missing parts. So at best you get a mask that fits for $45. at worst you are out $5 plus whatever it costs you to send it back. Or resell it to friend.
That's an excellent arrangement! i wish all LDS or online could refund masks if they don't fit. Most don't if they have been dived.

That's an excellent arrangement! i wish all LDS or online could refund masks if they don't fit. Most don't if they have been dived.

I know scubatoys.com allows you to return masks that don't fit well.

I think I might give returning 18 masks a go

It seems so convenient

And fill my pool with rocks and dirt and fish

And get Red Adair and some Hungarians to bring a jet engine over
to blow on the water on Thursdays bi monthly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom