Need a medical professional's advice ASAP for IDC!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Course Director is required by PADI Standards to collect from you a signed Medical Form. Previous editions are essentially obsolete if a new medical condition is evident or known since prior signature/issuance. I would submit that your existing medical form (if you have one) is invalid and that you are not eligible to meet the criteria to enter the course. As an instructor it will be your duty to teach people properly, but only when they're ready, sometimes for medical or other reasons you must turn them away. Perhaps lesson one for your instructor development is to go heal up first. The CD will undoubtedly reschedule your course in abundance of caution, and because at this juncture you're not technically eligible for the course.

Further, the IDC is a very busy and often physical endeavor. I can't imagine attempting it post-surgery, and in your case without consent of a physician.

Best of luck.

As far as lifting goes, someone else would have just taken care of getting my gear to/from the water and all that jazz... And yeah, i'm going to get medical clearance first BUT, I just wanted to hear some opinions. This was my first surgery so I'm for the most part pretty clueless as to what the actual risks would be, and bummed because i'm used to being in the water every day x_x already been dry for a month!

I can't imagine a more selfish attitude. Having someone carry your gear in an Instructor course because you are not TEMPORARILY able to? You're not disabled. Unless it's in your lack of judgment. That you would even consider something like this would make me question even diving with you. Let alone allowing someone I cared about to be trained by an instructor with such a deficiency in common sense.

Your body is not 100%. Why would you even consider going through such a rigorous time at any less than your absolute best? My Instructor exam kicked our asses. As it should have. To do what in essence I consider to be cheating through it is unthinkable.

A clearance from a doctor is a simple yes or no. Anything else would be a standard violation and during an idc that would be almost perverse.

I can't imagine a more selfish attitude. Having someone carry your gear in an Instructor course because you are not TEMPORARILY able to? You're not disabled. Unless it's in your lack of judgment. That you would even consider something like this would make me question even diving with you. Let alone allowing someone I cared about to be trained by an instructor with such a deficiency in common sense.

Your body is not 100%. Why would you even consider going through such a rigorous time at any less than your absolute best? My Instructor exam kicked our asses. As it should have. To do what in essence I consider to be cheating through it is unthinkable.

Oi mate, no need for hostilities! Sure, it may come off as selfish but that's not what I was going for... like I said, I was just curious as to opinions. no way was there to be any "cheating" involved. That's not the way I roll and not the way they roll, and I need a doctor's clearance first anyway. I was trying to look for more informative "what would the risk be if...", like physically to the body. not looking to get scolded for a question.

That being said, thanks for the info TSandM

Goodness gracious, Jim! I don't know what the CD would think of someone doing their IDC when unable to carry gear, but it seems to me that whether the CD would make allowances or not is up to the CD. As long as the OP isn't medicated to the gills with pain pills, I can't see any way that she presents any risk to the CD or her classmates, other than that she could not carry her own gear to and from the water.

Medically, I don't think this is advisable. But I find it far from heinous to want to figure away around the delay, especially given that, in some places, you would have to wait quite a while for another IDC.

Wow.
While I think (and said) that the OP should postpone their IDC for medical reasons, I think this is a bit over the top.
Question. Have you ever considered changing your title from "ScubaBoard Business Sponsor" to "Self-righteous Curmudgeon"? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Really? My instructor exam was supposed to simulate the possible events that could happen on open water dives and included getting a non responsive diver out of the water and on to shore. How would she do that? How would she help her "students" in the scenarios to gear up if she could not help out with lifting and donning the bc? A CD would/could allow someone who could not do any lifting to do the course or exam? Especially if it was due to the person just having had invasive surgery? Where is their common sense regardless if a dr cleared them to dive.

The word dive being the key. Big difference between dive and take a physically demanding several days long course and exam with all the physical, mental, and emotional stuff that entails.

This is not open water checkouts. I know not all IDC's and exams are the same. But I can't imagine any that would be so easy that the thought of doing this is even conceivable to one taking it or administering it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

As I said, this matter should be at the discretion of the CD. If scenarios such as you describe are a regular part of the IDC, then I certainly would not see a CD agreeing to allowing someone severely limited in their activities to be part of it. But it's my understanding, not having done one, that the IDC is a TEACHING activity, not an evaluation session. I could possibly see a CD allowing a student who was limited to participate in the activities she could, and observe the activities she couldn't, with the understanding that she might well be evaluated in the IE on things she had not had a chance to practice.

At any rate, I do agree that, even with allowances, it is too early for this particular person to do a diving class, so we are on the same page there. The difference is that you seem to find something reprehensible about her desire to find a way to do it, and I do not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom