Need a Lobsterin' help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robcropper

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to the keys on the 12th-17th and really wanna catch some bugs. Seen videos and read alot about them. Any advice or can anyone point me in the right direction. I'll be staying in Bahia honda Park for 2 days then off to Key West. I will most likely be snorkeling, I am dive certified though. Any help is appreciated.

I was in the keys for mini-season, and I used a tickle stick and net...I tried using a snare, but I'm definitely not a snare guy...tickle stick and net is SO MUCH easier...

just put the stick past them, and lightly tap them, not hard at all, and they will become annoyed and move out, if they don't move out after 10 seconds or so, tap just a little harder...

have your net still on the outside of the hole, and tickle the lobster in that direction (do not put the net exactly right in front of the hole)...

it's super easy once you get the hang of it

good luck

Jack

So you tickle the front or back of the lobster? I wonder what the chances of catching anything from shore snorkeling is? My girlfriend is also going to be doing this with me, but she is a beginner snorkeler and she doesn't dive at all. I will have to pick up one of those lobster kits on the way down. I was even looking into lobster trips, but I didn't see any. Thanks Jack for the advice, I have always wanted to do this and with the trip falling right on the opening of the season it would be a cool activity to try.

tickle from the back...and he'll come out...

I've only been lobster scuba diving, good luck on the snorkel thing...don't forget a license...

I plan on stopping at one of the tackle shops before I arrive and pick up the kit and a license. I am trying to see if there are is anyone thats gonna be in the area to maybe go with, or charter with. I looked up charters but none for lobster only for fish. I do plan on doing some fishing as well but catching my first bug is definately high on the trip agenda.

robcropper:
I'll be staying in Bahia honda Park for 2 days then off to Key West.
While you are at Bahia Honda you should get out to Looe Key. It is probably the nicest reef in the continental USA.

robcropper:
I wonder what the chances of catching anything from shore snorkeling is?
Shore diving is not great in the Keys. The nice reefs are offshore. You could snorkel the old Bahia Honda Bridge from shore but only do so during slack high tide when there are no currents and be back on shore before the current picks up again from the other direction. Carry a flag with you and watch out for boats speeding alongside the pilings and speeding under the bridges. The bridges offer alot of blind spots to boaters so be careful if you do this. I used to snorkel the bridges alot and we used to do well lobstering on them. Bahia Honda bridge was one of my favorites.

Plan on checking out the reef one day. I really don't think my girlfriend will go that far out snorkeling from shore. I may go but I usually try to go in pairs. One thing you learn from diving is always with a buddy. I know she's not too keen on shark encounters. I will snorkel around and try to find some nooks and rocks they might be under or may even be in the grass patches out there.

you can try "DIVE KEY WEST" they usually have lobster trips going out..I'll be there Aug 11th-18th on KW.

is it true that the bahia honda bridge area is notorious for sharks?

I saw a post on boatless fishing about sharks on BH. I think they are in the deeper channel though. I have heard that snorkeling you will most likely see nurse sharks, but haven't heard anything about other species of shark coming in close. Plus the likeliness of having a shark mess with you is minimal unless provoked. Thats cool Oly that your gonna there the same week as me. I will be @ BH camping 12-13th then keywest 14-18th. I'll check out dive key west, I may just venture off and try to find some spots snorkeling on bh and kw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom