Need a Little Help w/ Drysuit Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gxsr_sarge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Seasons Greetings!

I just took my new DUI TLS 350 for my first ever test drive in a drysuit. Bottom line - IT WAS GREAT! I can definitely see myself getting used to it within a handful of dives. However, I had trouble maintaining proper trim while maintaining my GUE/DIR prone position while not moving. I'm sure this is very common but my legs were very "light" and I felt that I had to keep my fins moving to stay flat. I attempted to deplete my feet from any air (by getting vertical and venting) and I would still tend to go head first.

I did this test in a controlled salt water "lagoon" with beach access in about 20' max depth. I'm using AL80 doubles with a 6# steel backplate/Halycon 40# wing. I added an 8# "V-weight" and oriented it so that the COG was lower on the tank. I'm GUE/F certified and will be taking GUE/Tech 1 soon. I've been using a wetsuit all my life (live in S. Fla.). I do plan on asking my GUE/F instructor for a few drysuit lessons but would like to get this ironed out sooner rather than later.

Aside from "ankle weights", what have you all done to correct this? Is it just a matter of weight re-distribution or am I missing something?

Thanks

What fins are you using and do the have spring straps?

To be honest, I like enough gas in my legs to basically float my feet. It's one of the reasons I strongly prefer to dive a DS over a wet suit. Have never had trouble venting gas from my legs/feet (just need to drop your feet on occasion while ascending).

However, I had trouble maintaining proper trim while maintaining my GUE/DIR prone position

I'm pretty sure that being horizontal pre-dates either.

while not moving. I'm sure this is very common but my legs were very "light" and I felt that I had to keep my fins moving to stay flat. I attempted to deplete my feet from any air (by getting vertical and venting) and I would still tend to go head first.

. . .

Aside from "ankle weights", what have you all done to correct this? Is it just a matter of weight re-distribution or am I missing something?

You have too much air in your suit.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whites-manufacturing/265088-i-hate-my-new-drysuit.html

If you're diving large doubles, you may be significantly overweighted at the start of the dive. You might want to consider using your wing for buoyancy instead of the drysuit, since the air moves around much less.

Also, make sure you're not overweighted.

Terry

Assuming its the correct amount, try putting the weight on a belt. Next step is to use your wing for more of your bouyancy. And lastly arch your back more, as much as possible. If you're head isn't plastered to the isolator, pin it there.

Is your GUE-F card from before the advent or the rec vs. tech pass? Who is your T1 instructor, Dean? Regardless you will never pass Tech1 as is, just wipe that thought from your short-term mind and put it into the long term goal bin. Then just go diving. And do lots and lots of CG drills and weight checks to learn your new toys.

I'm pretty sure that being horizontal pre-dates either.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whites-manufacturing/265088-i-hate-my-new-drysuit.html

If you're diving large doubles, you may be significantly overweighted at the start of the dive. You might want to consider using your wing for buoyancy instead of the drysuit, since the air moves around much less.

Terry

That's what I think as well. Too much weight means too much air in your suit or BC. I just makes the whole thing gangly.

If I had to guess, I'd go with the too much air in the drysuit issue as well. I recently learned to dive in a drysuit as well, and on the first two dives, my feet felt really light. Once I started experimenting more with using my wing for buoyancy, and my drysuit only enough to relieve the squeeze and keep me warm, my floaty feet issues went away.

Although I'm not a DIR/GUE diver yet, I do plan to take fundies in the next few months, so body position is something I've tried to be very aware of. With too much air in the drysuit, my feet are definitely floaty. Try not putting as much in and see how that goes before you go with ankle weights.

What fins are you using and do the have spring straps?

I have the Scuba Pro Jet Fins

I'm pretty sure that being horizontal pre-dates either

Terry

I wasn't using the DS for added buoyancy. I maintained just enough air to avoid too much squeeze. I also checked my weight at the end of the dive by dumping my tanks to 250 PSI (doubles) and dumping all of the air from my bladder and whatever I could from the DS and remaining neutral at 10'. I was spot-on controlling my ascent/descent with only my breathing. I'm confident I'm not overweighted.

Assuming its the correct amount, try putting the weight on a belt. Next step is to use your wing for more of your bouyancy. And lastly arch your back more, as much as possible. If you're head isn't plastered to the isolator, pin it there.

Is your GUE-F card from before the advent or the rec vs. tech pass? Who is your T1 instructor, Dean? Regardless you will never pass Tech1 as is, just wipe that thought from your short-term mind and put it into the long term goal bin. Then just go diving. And do lots and lots of CG drills and weight checks to learn your new toys.

I do tend to think that it's a balance thing. I think I do need to somehow lower some weight. The band of the tanks are already at the shoulders so I can't lower those. I'll try adding weight to my belt thereby making my CG lower. Also, I do need to raise my head more.

Re my card, I did pass GUE/F w/Tech. I don't plan on taking Tech 1 right away as I know I need to do at least 30+ more dives with the DS and maybe even a deco bottle. By the way, doesn't passing w/ a Tech Cert "graduate" you for Tech 1?

If I had to guess, I'd go with the too much air in the drysuit issue as well. I recently learned to dive in a drysuit as well, and on the first two dives, my feet felt really light. Once I started experimenting more with using my wing for buoyancy, and my drysuit only enough to relieve the squeeze and keep me warm, my floaty feet issues went away.

Although I'm not a DIR/GUE diver yet, I do plan to take fundies in the next few months, so body position is something I've tried to be very aware of. With too much air in the drysuit, my feet are definitely floaty. Try not putting as much in and see how that goes before you go with ankle weights.

I really can't imagine LESS air in the DS - it's pasted on as it is!!!

Do those leg gaitors work?

Thanks

If you're using Al80s with that little weight, and Jet fins with springs, and you've checked your weighting, then it's a posture and balance thing.

One thing I found is that, if I don't keep the back of my head plastered to the isolator, I'll end up swimming a bit head down. Head up, making myself as LONG as I can from shoulders to knees, and I trim out horizontal.

You can try moving the 6 lbs that you have in the V-weight to a belt, but the cave instructors won't like it. I was absolutely SURE I was going to have to do that, but to my surprise, I've had no trouble at all with trim in my dry suit and Al80s. A lot of it is practice moving the bubble in the suit around to where it helps you and doesn't hinder you.

Just go get a bunch of dives in, with some buddies who can give you feedback on your overall trim, your head position, and where your knees are (dropped or not). It'll come.

Just go get a bunch of dives in, with some buddies who can give you feedback on your overall trim, your head position, and where your knees are (dropped or not). It'll come.

TSandM, Thanks! I think I'll take your advice and keep on diving to sort it all out.

I really can't imagine LESS air in the DS - it's pasted on as it is!!!

Do those leg gaitors work?

If you're thinking about gaiters and complaining about your feet filling with air, it either means you still have have extra air in the suit or the boots are huge. Also, if you're not horizontal, it's entirely possible to have one end of you getting squeezed and the other floating around in a comfy bubble.

Assuming the problem isn't huge boots, the solution is still the same: you need to minimize the air in the suit by adjusting your weighting, keeping the exhaust valve open and maintaining horizontal trim.

You may need to do a dive with an experienced drysuit diver to get everything squared away, since quite a bit of it is interrelated.

Terry

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom