Need a Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Licensed to Creel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need a dependable light. This will be my first dive light and I want one that will fit my needs for rec. diving but I don't have alot of money. Can anyone help a brother out?

Regards,

Clark:confused:

I agree on the the UK SL4. I prefer the xenon over the LED. You can pick one up at Leisure Pro for 19.95 right now. They are on sale. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed, and it will make for a great backup when you move on to a bigger light.

I agree , 4 cell UK SL4 xenon for $19.95 and has an advantage of being small so you can pocket it as a backup if you get a bigger lamp later .. or the slightly bigger 6 cell SL6 xenon for $29.49 if you think that this will be the only light you will have for some time

I would not get an LED lamp at this time because you will have to spend considerably more on the lamp, especially if you want comparable light output to a xenon/halogen bulbed one

.. I have the UK C8 ($59.99) for my primary .. has a very good light output/cost ratio and the tiny but bright Mini Q40 ($11.95) in a pocket as a backup/emerg. lamp

I don't know what "not a lot of money" means to you, but if you want a very sturdy, durable light with a LOT of power and a well focused spot (useful for signalling), the Salvo Rat Jr. is an amazing little light. Our LDS sells it for about $85.

Ikelite also makes a nice LED light for about $39.95, but the switch on the one we bought went bad after only a few dives, so I hesitate to recommend it.

I have a Dive Rite LED backup light which isn't very powerful, but has a nicely focused spot and a reported burn time of 50 hours, but it was a little more expensive, as is the Photon Torpedo, which, with the LED module, is a VERY bright and well-made light.

That's really not a sale price... that's now the everyday price http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKSL4 The price of the standard SL4 dropped when they brought out the eLed version as most everyone wanted the longer burn time and whiter light.

I would actually consider the SL4 more of a backup light, and something like the UK C8 to be a primary.

I still think the Ikelite PCa is a pretty good light for the money. They cost about $23, uses 6AA batteries, 2h burn time, extremely small. Tight center spot but wide peripheral reach. Now they probably would not be considered the most dependable, but still good enough.

What is the difference between the UK D8 and the UK C8?

performance wise I mean..not structurally..is it alot brighter or just longer lasting etc etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom