Need a hotel that has a kids program and allows us to dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nismo

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looking to plan next years vacation. This will be the first trip with our son who will be 4 by the time we go. We'd like a place that has a children's program for at least a half day so that he will have something to do so that we can do some morning boat dives. Would prefer to be a place that is relatively close if not in a city so that we can all go out and experince the local culture and customs. Right now my first choice is The Buccaneer in St Croix. No real limits on location, however don't know that I want to explore Jamaica with a 4 year old. Does not need to be all inclusive but those will be considered. Thanks in advance.

I do not know this personally as I do not have children and therefore avoid "family resorts", but I have been told to avoid the Beaches chain of resorts because they cater to families. Many of them also have dive facilities.

Lots of places in Cozumel and Riviera Maya areas. I think Grand Cayman has options also but don't know for sure.

Look at: Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
and
Caribbean Dive Island Vacations at Bay Adventures

Edit: just did some searching for you - Cozumel: all inclusives such as Occidental, Allegro, and Park Royal all have kids clubs. Probably the least expensive place to go for a great diving experience and also something for the kiddo. There is at least one in Grand Cayman with a kids club. Also, Curacao looks to have a few as does Bonaire. Also check out: http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

your son might be a bit young right now, but in the future you might want to consider http://www.kidsseacamp.com/
Great way to have a family vacation with kids. A friend did this a few years ago with her 6yr old and 12yr old. They both had a fabulous time and the 6yr old cried all the way home on the plane. They did it at Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan.

robin

Last edited:
Robin is correct. Bonaire has 3 programs that I know of. One is at Plaza resort, the other at Buddy Dive and the 3rd at Sand Dollar Condos. You can, however, utilize the kid's programs even if you don't stay at Plaza or Buddy. You can stay anywhere and still use them. Sand Dollar is actually a great place for families and it is set up on the water. They have 2 and three bedroom condos. Check out Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information and Bonaire Hotel and Tourism Association: Hotels, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling and Windsurfing Information for more info.

Liz

There are several chains of all-inclusives that offer what you are looking for. SuperClubs, Beaches, Sandals for example. I'd look at Breezes, Curacao for the best combination.

Del...

Ed and I went to Breezes a few months ago to "get away" for along weekend. Let's just say that the food was mediocre, and the had "bug" problems and we didn't really see much as far as kid's programs. There were places kids could go, like the pool, beach, a small video game room. They had one ping pong ball table. Most of the kids hung with the parents at the pool and then once in the morning for about 1/2 hour they had something by the pool for the kids and once in the late afternoon. The rooms were clean but very worn, and I got sick for the airco not being cleaned out.

Other Breezes may be good at other islands, I'm just expressing my opinion of my experience at Breezes of Curacao. I notified them via email, as well as their customer survey, but never recieved any return response.

Liz

As mentioned, the Beaches/Sandals resorts are AI, and includes diving. Some are adults only and some are family oriented, for example Beaches Turks & Caico.

The adults who don't like to be bothered with kids, go to adult only resorts. In your case, you'd want the family oriented resorts. The food and other amenities at the Beaches/Sandals resorts are usually fairly good, at least in the ones we stayed in.

Another possible option is to go on a cruise. Camp Carnival seems to have good reviews for kids. You can go on some Caribbean cruises that go to good diving ports. We've gone on a western Caribbean cruise that went to G Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. It started out in Tampa, where we flew in 2 days earlier and went north to Crystal River to snorkel with manatees, and drift dive/snorkel in Rainbow River.

We've also gone on S. Caribbean cruise last year, and dove/snorkeled in St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Antigua. All had good diving. I found cruising to be more enjoyable than an AI resort, because there's so much more to do.

My wife and I were in Curacao last month and Bonaire the year before. So we don't want to go there again so soon. I was hoping to avoid Beaches Resorts. A cruise is possible. The Buccaneer sounds like the way we will go. I may look into Bonaire since one of us could snorkle(hopefully) while the other dives. If we can teach him to snorkle by then he will love being able to swim with one and watch the other and fish.

Atlantis on Paradise Island (Nassau) is supposed to have a good kid's program. I think they take them behind the scenes at the resort. Bahama Divers is 10mins. away just on the other side of the bridge. We spent a couple days in Nassau, there's some old historic forts, a shopping area and some other attractions. Just a few minutes from downtown.

There's also another much smaller resort near Atlantis owned by them which allows you to use their facilities. I think they have a shuttle boat over to the resort. Not sure what it's called.

Hello, Having two children myself (ages 10 and 12 now), planning dive vacations have been a challenge over the past 5 years. We usually travel with other families with kids also, so trust me, I understand the challenges. After numerous hours of researching on the internet, we seem to always head back to Cozumel. In Cozumel, we have stayed at the Occidental, Iberostar, Reef Resort, Allegro, Melia, and El Cozumeleno. All have childrens programs. The two resorts which stand out though, as far as taking care of the children, are El Cozumeleno and the Reef Resort. Both require that a parent be on site if the kids are left in the kids club. If parents are going out to dive, as we did, they ask that you hire a nanny or babysitter. At first, I was very concerned about leaving my children with a stranger and going out diving. Though, what I found, was that the women that take care of the children are wonderful. You usually have your choice btw someone that works at the front desk or someone in housekeeping. At El Cozumeleno, a women who worked at the front desk, watched the kids. They actually put nanny outfits on when they babysit. She was wonderful. At the Reef Resort, one of the girls that ran the kids club watched the kids on the side for us. In both cases, they would stay at the kids sides while they played at the resort. I believe it was the Reef Resort where the sitter actually took them behind the stage of the theater and showed them around. In both cases, I was very happy with the care and the kids were entertained. Plus, staying at an all inclusive resort is the best way to go with kids.

This year though, we are breaking away from Cozumel and possibly heading to the Breezes in Curacao. It is all inclusive with a lot for the kids to do. Good luck in your search. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom