Need a good night dive light - Sub $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a related note, has anybody ever tried the UV excitation filter for the Light Cannon from Nightsea? (http://www.nightsea.com/uklc.htm) It's supposed to enhance natural fluorescence underwater, which I think would be incredibly cool on a night dive! If they work well, I intend to buy one for diving here in BC - should be incredibly cool with the lush invertebrate life out here!

AtomicWalrus:
A 10 W HID canister and a C8 dive light are rather different animals, and the price differential isn't exactly small! :wink: Needless to say, I agree that there's a huge advantage to HID in the high light output, long duration application. In a few years, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see LEDs start to displace HIDs at the lower end of the range as LED technology becomes capable of higher output. LEDs are cheaper, tougher, and have even better power consumption. I think a lot of the issues with the Light Cannon result from it being at the bottom end of the HID price range. It's still a nice light, but I think for the price difference between a Light Cannon and the eLED, I'd stick with the eLED at the low end of the price range and suck it up and pay the difference for a canister light at the higher end of the price range.
We weren't talking about a C8, we were talking about the Light Cannon, which is a 10W HID.

Jonnythan..... where ya goin bud??

We were talking about the UK Light Canon 100. Not a canister light. If I could get a cannister for under $200, I would have saved around 10 posts or so. I was referring to the Light Canon 100 as having no business being on the market. It is completely unreliable, and IMO should have been pulled long ago.

ChrisA:
I have a theory about the root cause of the Light Canon's problems. The HID bulb, like all HID lamps is not "insant on". If you apply power to it there is a delay of about a minute before the bulb starts emmiting light. OK we can live with that. Just turn it on before you get in the water.

What are you smokin? My UKLC turns on instantly (though with low output), and seems to be at full power in about 5 seconds.

ChrisA:
Now the problem comes if there is any kind of poor electrical connection. If the power source is interrupted even briefly the light shuts down and then it takes a good long time to re-start.

Now look at the light. How many electrical connections are there inside, where each must be perfect? There are 8 batteries that butt together nose to tails A little metal jumpper plate and two springs in the bottom of the housing and the two contact up near the bulb and then the swtich contacts and some that I've missed. Something like a dozen metal to metal contacts that are held in contact only by spring pressure. If any of there are broken even momintarly the light shuts down for a minute of so.

I use the rechargable battery pack, one battery, two connections, not too many.

ChrisA:
In a "normal" light with a halogen or LED bulb a brieft interruption of power means only a small fliscker, maybe not even noticed. The "dozen metal to metal contacts held together with a spring" design works fine for a normal bulb flashlight.

How do the HID canister lights solve this problem? Better enginerring, different battery types. I've never seen the insides of one.

All I know is that the UKLC is a great light, I have had no issues with mine.

Mike

I think part of the reason for "problems" people have in it are the batteries, I was ready to sink mine to the bottom of the lake until I researched and found out it was my batteries causing the problem, put in duracell and its like brand new again, to me it has been a solid light that gets beat up pretty good and still keeps ticking, I'd buy another one if mine died.

BlueDolphin:
Jonnythan..... where ya goin bud??

We were talking about the UK Light Canon 100. Not a canister light. If I could get a cannister for under $200, I would have saved around 10 posts or so. I was referring to the Light Canon 100 as having no business being on the market. It is completely unreliable, and IMO should have been pulled long ago.
I know.

Fragile and quirky are characteristics of the HID bulb, whether it's in a can light or the Light Cannon. The LC uses the same bulb as most of the 10W canister lights.

The Light Cannon's light output far outclasses the C8 by a wide margin. It puts out the most light per dollar of anything else out there. That light output comes at the cost of a slightly fragile and quirky bulb.

If it's not worth it to you, then don't use it... but for those of us who don't mind the oddness of an HID bulb, the light output is more than worth it.

Don't be mad that we're buying HIDs.. they're worth it to us :)

Jonnythan.....

Lets try this again. I have nothing against an HID light. Make sure you are understanding that. That said the UK Light Canon 100 once again has a very very very long trail of problems posted, all over the net. Most revolve around its bulb malfunction. Not slow start up times, but "failure". Please note that once again, I am referring ONLY to the UK Light Canon 100.

Repeat after me Jonnythan..... "BlueDolphin is referring only to the UK Light Canon 100, as being a dive light that should not be on the market". "This has nothing to do with other HID "cannister" lights".

Your HID cannister does not use the exact same bulb as the UK Light Canon 100, I am sure you are already aware of this. The UK Light Canon uses an HID bulb however not the same one that your cannister light has. The Light Canon has issues that I am sure your cannister light does not share. For instance I am sure you have not had to replace your bulb several times within a short period of time due to bulb damage. The problem has been noted to be the housing, moreso than the bulb.

Ok.... just wanted to be sure we were on the same page.

Anyway.... I know the UK Canon Light puts out great light, and when it works it is a great light. It just has far too many problems noted by its owners to be IMO a light to use. Do a search on the net.

I wish it were not so..... as it would be in my bag.

TY

Like I said, the bulb is the exact same bulb used in a bunch of other HID lights.

I think most of the problems stem from users expecting the Light Cannon to behave like C8, but they're drastically different. I've seen lots of people get great results when using the thing properly, and I've read lots of stories where people simply don't understand how different the Light Cannon is and have problems because of it.

I know you're referring to the Light Cannon, and I don't appreciate the condescending tone of your posts.

I'm referring to the Light Cannon the same way you are.

Hey, this is the post I was looking for. for all of you that have exp. with the UK eLed lights. Do they focus or is it bright enough that spot or flood not to matter.

edit: FYI scubatoys.com has light packages very well priced, and most pkgs. under $200

Depends on the light. The C8 eLED is a flood beam and about the same brightness as the normal C8.. which, in my experience, is suitable for night dives just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom