Need a good light...very picky...please help!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright guys and gals im counting on ya. I need a new light and i am on a tight college student budget < 150$ ...

First.i want something that i can mount on my hand like a goodman handle, or light sock, something that accomplishes this decently without too much flop, and for no other reason than I think thats cool lol

Second i want a tight focused beam at least as tight as i can get for sub 150$ lol.

Third I want it to be bright :wink:...yet again best i can get for sub 150$

I will mainly be using this light for night diving, probably for my Cavern course when ever i take that....if its approved. but if not thats ok. I know this is very picky but thats what i want lol...Ive been doing a lot of looking at the Penetrator 220/ Dorcy2 but i have heard mixed reviews on it on the board , mainly my biggest problem is the goodman handle that piranha sells with it looks a little ???? any one used it? I like the oxycheq raider handle but dont know how it will fit with the Dorcy...anyone have any ideas? Also for those of u who have the Dorcy how tight is the focus? its hard to get a good idea based on the pictures i have seen and my limited knowledge of dive lights. Just for comparing though i do have a UK mini Q40 eled plus that i like so if that helps there lol.

Sorry for being so needy but i just cant seem to make up my mind and my next trip is rapidly approaching. Thanks again for all of ur help!!!

Go to a Halcyon deale rand get a Scout light. Look up Jj Blomquist on the board. send him a p.m and ask him for one of the 340lumens bulbs he sells. They will give your light a very bright beam. You are still within your budget. The light from H has a great warranty on it. Hope this helps. I have 4Scouts, and all have been upgrade to this bulb.

Of course the smaller sock ( I don't remember which number it is) will hold more securely. But I think the larger one makes a better fit. It seems the light has to be forced into the smaller sock.

If you're worried about the light slipping out it's easy to tie a little line from the back of the light to the bungee strap of the sock. I doubt the light will slip out but the tie will provide peace of mind.

Adam

Glad to hear they both work, i think i will probably go with the Dorcy and the oxy lightsock, i have seen how you can bolt snap the light to the bungee strap and really like that idea. thanks for all ur help

If you're getting into Cavern and that sort of diving it might make sense to find a used Halcyon Scout (3 C-cell) or Salvo Rat and buy the LED upgrade jblomquist is selling here and on eBay. The LED is as bright as anything out there, and the light body is near bomb proof.

I built one of those upgrades myself and used a smooth reflector rather than the textured reflector the LED module comes with, which gave me less spill light and considerably better throw.

I built a DIY Goodman handle from aluminum strap from Home D and attached a Scout light. Worked very well.

Henrik
Wow that goodmen looks pretty cool, and pretty easy to make, I think i will probably get the Oxycheq lightsock and try to make one like this in the meantime. i would rather have a metal one like yours. THanks
ps: that HOG mask strap is pretty sweet

If you're getting into Cavern and that sort of diving it might make sense to find a used Halcyon Scout (3 C-cell) or Salvo Rat and buy the LED upgrade jblomquist is selling here and on eBay. The LED is as bright as anything out there, and the light body is near bomb proof.

I built one of those upgrades myself and used a smooth reflector rather than the textured reflector the LED module comes with, which gave me less spill light and considerably better throw.

I built a DIY Goodman handle from aluminum strap from Home D and attached a Scout light. Worked very well.

Henrik

Hi Henrik, The interesting thing in your photo is the horizontal rotation of your reg 1st stage on the tank. I would never think of using it that way. It looks like one of the Apeks, right?

Adam

Wow that goodmen looks pretty cool, and pretty easy to make, I think i will probably get the Oxycheq lightsock and try to make one like this in the meantime. i would rather have a metal one like yours. THanks
ps: that HOG mask strap is pretty sweet

Jbell: Here are some measurements I took off of a friend's Goodman handle:

This drawing is of the "real thing" where the bridge is thick enough to get drilled and tapped for a screw to hold the handle.

The one I made at first I made from 1" and 2" aluminum strap from Home D. I cut the strap to shape with a jigsaw and bent the pieces in a bench vise. I also bent down tabs from the "bridge" to match up with the handle piece.

I like that HOG strap. I've tried a couple of the velcro ones, but when I'm not wearing a hood, the velcro cuts my my ears. The HOG strap uses a soft webbing and a buckle for length adjustment, and doesn't cut me :)

Hi Henrik, The interesting thing in your photo is the horizontal rotation of your reg 1st stage on the tank. I would never think of using it that way. It looks like one of the Apeks, right?

Adam

Adam; yes, they are Apeks regs: Tek3 regs made specifically for doubles. You can accomplish something very similar - for less $$ - by using DS4 1st stages and mounting them horizontally like the Tek3. The DS4 hose routing puts a bit more "bend" in the hoses, but they work well. The Tek3s are sweet regs though :)

Henrik

Jbell: Here are some measurements I took off of a friend's Goodman handle:

This drawing is of the "real thing" where the bridge is thick enough to get drilled and tapped for a screw to hold the handle.

The one I made at first I made from 1" and 2" aluminum strap from Home D. I cut the strap to shape with a jigsaw and bent the pieces in a bench vise. I also bent down tabs from the "bridge" to match up with the handle piece.

I like that HOG strap. I've tried a couple of the velcro ones, but when I'm not wearing a hood, the velcro cuts my my ears. The HOG strap uses a soft webbing and a buckle for length adjustment, and doesn't cut me :)

Adam; yes, they are Apeks regs: Tek3 regs made specifically for doubles. You can accomplish something very similar - for less $$ - by using DS4 1st stages and mounting them horizontally like the Tek3. The DS4 hose routing puts a bit more "bend" in the hoses, but they work well. The Tek3s are sweet regs though :)

Henrik
WOW, thank you this is very helpful and makes the process much more realistic for me thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom