Need a first time reg ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoodOmens

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to buying a first time reg and I am thinking the scubapro mk250/x650 combo.

Is there anything better at that price range? Anything better thats cheaper?

One question though ... I've heard some regs offer a lifetime on service. Is this true and if so what brands?

Thanks!

The MK 25/X650 is one of SP's top of the line regs. If you're doing recreational dives, you don't need such a high performance reg. Not that it's bad to have one, but if you want to save some money, you could get the G250 2nd stage and you'd be every bit as happy with it. You could also save some money getting the MK17 1st stage, or even the MK16 if you can find one on close out.

For single tank recreational diving, not any deeper than 130ft, the workhorse MK2/ R190 would save you ALOT of money and perform very well. Don't listen to anyone who tells you the unbalanced piston 1st stage will breathe poorly at low tank pressures; the truth is it will deliver plenty of air easily until your tank gets really low, like 300PSI. If you're at any depth at that tank pressure, it's really time to head for the surface...as a new diver this can be a blessing if you forget to monitor your SPG and find yourself unexpectedly low on air. A high performance balanced piston, like the MK 25, will breathe essentially the same right down to the last breath, and finding out you have NO air at depth could be a very dangerous situation. It's unlikely to matter as long as you keep checking the SPG.

These are just SP regs. There will be many opinions on other brands. Any reputable company, aqualung, apeks, etc will work really well, and most have lifetime warranties, so you might check out what's easily available and serviced in your area. Good luck!

Thanks for that information.

Something else I forgot to point out, I do live in a cold area (dc) and although I don't own a dry suite, I will be getting one at some point (not soon of course).

I will also be doing a lot of cold lake dives that are around my area so the reg would need to perform well under cold conditions.

I am also not set on scubapro... so by all means make more suggestions :)

GoodOmens:
I am looking to buying a first time reg and I am thinking the scubapro mk250/x650 combo.

Is there anything better at that price range? Anything better thats cheaper?

One question though ... I've heard some regs offer a lifetime on service. Is this true and if so what brands?

Thanks!

Here's a great link for comparing regs: http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs/ I sell(and dive) Zeagle gear, and I'm biased toward their products, but I think there the toughest regs around. Also, they carry a Lifetime Guarantee.

Hope this helps

Check out DiveRite, they make a great cold water reg and they aren't all that expensive. A buddy of mine who is a tech diver swears by them, I tried one of his and liked it so well I replaced my beloved Scubapro Mk10.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'd recommend the Mk 17 over the Mk 25. The Mk 17 gives more than ample performance, is easier to rinse and maintain and is the most bullet proof first stage available for use in cold water. You'd also save about $50 with a Mk 17 X650 compared to a Mk 25 S600.

However you can also move away from the regular packages and basically buy any first stage with any second stage SP makes. The dealer will just need to order it (it takes about a week to 10 days to get one in special order). This means you could buy a MK 17 with a G250 and maximize your performance for the buck and you could do it for about $105 less than the price of a Mk 25 S600 and about $55.00 less than a Mk 17 X650. Practical real world performance at the diver end of the reg will be equally excellent with any of the three combinations.

With a Mk 17 and either an X650 or G250 second stage, you would never need to upgrade to a more capable reg to meet any diving situation as either one is more than capable of doing it all.

Scubapros have to be the work horse of most divers stuck out on a limb, looking for tough ***** stuff with easy service possibilities.

The 650 I would question, its trying to be a Poseidon and its not. The MK25, a first stage you will find hard to beat. U don't need to bother with the titanium option, those regs are reasonably tough enough anyway. The mk 25 is as tough as old boots on the surface with ice...not as good as the beuchat but a whole lot better then the very free flowing zeagle i was comparing it to in those conditions.

Bottom line, go european but if you can't affoed it, then go US...they have nice over rated stuff.

boogey

boogeywoogey:
The 650 I would question, its trying to be a Poseidon and its not.
Mechanically speaking the X650 has got absolutely nothing in common with any Poseiden second stage, so I am not sure what you base that statement on.

What SP does seem to be doing with the X650 is attempting to replace the D400 with something that shares a common air barrel, poppet design and service techniques with the other SP high perfomance balanced poppet second stages like the G250HP, S550 and S600.

The X650 does incorporate an air barrel mounted directly in front of the mouthpiece which gives very smooth and direct air flow like the D400 but it does not incorporate a coaxial exhaust valve and diaphragm so it falls far short of D400 performance. So it's accurate to say that it is trying to be a D400 and it's not.

It's still however in the same class as the G250HP and S600 and I've always felt both of those second stages breathed very well and were much better than any Poseiden second stage I have used. My expereince with Poseiden regs is limited to air sharing (often for extended periods during technical training) but my opinion is that they do not breath as well as a G250/S600/X650 and tend to have a very unatural positive pressure feel when you breathe off them.

I won't even get into the limited availability of Poseiden parts and service in the US, the high cost, or the inconvenience (and high cost) of having to obtain second stage hoses with a specialized inlet fitting incorporating an OPV.

And for cold water I would also not recommend the Mk 25 now that the Mk 17 is available. The Mk 17 is optimized for extreme cold water performance, is lightweight and compact and the hose routing works extremely well (very Poseiden like) with doubles.

boogeywoogey:
The mk 25 is as tough as old boots on the surface with ice...not as good as the beuchat but a whole lot better then the very free flowing zeagle i was comparing it to in those conditions.
boogey

boogey,

You'll find very few people will listen to your opinions on gear, when you make negative comments about other products.

Zeagle Flathead VI, 50D, and DSV regulators have very good reputations in very cold water. They have been extensively tested in many cold water areas including Antartica.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

Thanks guys ... looks like I am going to spend the day tomorrow visiting my lds's and looking at some of the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom