Need a balanced Reg (1st and 2nd stage) - can you help with brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fosters

Reaction score
I want to get a balanced regulator which will be used for probably 5 solid diving weeks in the year.

I've only used unbalanced regs and tend to find the breathing a little laboured at depth. In fact the only time I have used a balanced reg, it was great - a lot more comfortable.

The problem is there are so many makes out there, i'm not sure where to start.
It has to be reliable obviously, I'd dread a freeflow at depth, so not bottom of the range, but i'm not made of money.

I'll need a first and second stage with octopus too which can handle up to EAN40 too.

Help would be much appreciated

Michael
(PADI Advanced/Nitrox)

If you want meaningful help you need to provide a few more details like

- what is your target max depth? It's not enough to say breathing laboured at depth.

- what temperature range? You only talk about 5 weeks per year so are you only diving warm water away from the UK?

- is environmental sealing a requirement?

Good point

maximum 35 msw
only salt water warm temps (23C+)
"is environmental sealing a requirement?" not sure what this means [embarassed]

No need to be embarrassed.... environmentally sealed is simply an extra diaphragm (on a diaphragm reg) or a rubber band and a pile of crystal lube grease (on a piston reg). The reason for an environmentally sealed reg is primarily to stop them from freezing when diving in water temps near freezing. Based on your description of your diving... I would not concern myself.

The other thing to not worry about is nitrox. You can use any reg on any nitrox mix up to 40%.

So then it just comes down to which balanced reg you want... and that is, the more money you spend... normally, the better they perform.

For a great, top rated (also happens to be environmentally sealed... just in case you toss yourself into the cold) is the Oceanic Delta 4. It also has a cool swivel at the second stage, and the new dry valve technology in the 1st stage that stops water from getting in, even if you forget to put on the dust cap.

If you don't want that much in a reg... the Zeagle Envoy is probably the best reg in it's price range.

So don't worry about the seal, or the nitrox thing... and just find stuff that gives you the features you want (do you care about adjustments? swivels? Dry valve 1st stages?) and hit your budget.

Environmental Sealing?
- keeps water out of the first stage while still allowing the reg to sense the water pressure. Unless you're diving in cold or polluted water, it's really not necessary.
If you dive in clear tropical water, don't worry about it.

Quite frankly for warm water diving to 35m just about any decent middle priced reg should give a good performance. This is why you see a tendency on SB for members to always recommend the reg they own. :wink:
My feeling is you've probably been diving with rented entry level models which are normally unbalanced piston first stages based on price, reliability and servicing costs.
Just moving up to a balanced piston first stage will probably give you the improvement you're looking for.
I'd look first at servicing costs available to you in your area. Remember, the more sophisticated the reg you get the more you will spend annually. Of course some regs come with lifetime warranties if you do the annual service.

there can only be one.... poseidon xtreme, no fuss diving:)

If you are going to be traveling during those 5 solid weeks of diving per year, getting a regulator for which you can find a dealer and service virtually anywhere is important. That pretty much limits the field to Aqualung and Scubapro.

I like the Aqualung Ledgend LX. It performs well, is well made and the basic design is very durable.

I also like the Scubapro Mk 17 with either a G250, S600 or X650 second stage. A Mk 17 G250 would be my choice. It offers more flow rate than Ledgend and has more than enough flow rate for recrational, deep air, or mixed gas diving. It is fully environmentally sealed and is a superb regulator for cold water diving. It is also diver adjustable and the basic design is also well proven, durable, and easy to service.

I'd just like to point out,that the Zeagle Envoy (and all the Zeagle range of regs) are,to my knowledge unavailable in the UK,neither is the Scubapro G250HP. You could import,but you'd get stung for import duty and VAT i expect.

The Scubapro Mk17 is only paired with the R290,R390,S550 and X650 within the UK,you could get the S600,but would pay more as a special.The S550 is probably the best choice for your £'s.
Aqualung,Apeks and Oceanic are also all easily available within the UK and make good balanced regs.

Also,overseas servicing can be a bit hit and miss(Red sea area),usually the service tech is not available!!

Regards

Why not recommend an Apeks since he's in the UK? They have a wide range of products in many costs, and no one questions their performance or reliability.

Jetsam:
Aqualung,Apeks and Oceanic are also all easily available within the UK and make good balanced regs.

I thought i had ? :05:

I had to put some of the misinformation (however well meant), right. All of the 4 brands i mentioned will do the job,and have readily available spares within the UK. At the end of the day it's up to him to make the final choice. :14:

Back
Top Bottom