nearby wrecks/decent dives Staten Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
My friend recently told me he has a small boat that he would love to use to take me out diving on sometime in the NY area. His girlfriend is a diver too, so I've been thinking - anyone know of any wrecks or interesting spots that don't take hours to get out to around Staten Island? Also, how's the water temp been lately? Anyone been diving in 7ml westuits? I don't have a drysuit.

How small is his boat, and how close to Staten Island do you want? If you're in Brooklyn, you might be better off having him come out your way for some shore diving at beach 9th st, or going out his way for some Jersey diving. AFAIK there isn't anything that great right near Staten Island.

If you don't get cold easily, you'll still just get away with a 7mil, but not for too much longer :wink:

Scott

is there much to see on a beach dive out there? i've swam in the rockaways and belle harbor and it's pretty empty, from what I've seen. i think the boat's out of staten island - though maybe he said long island. damn...i'll get back to you. thanks!

Lot's of dive boats going out of LI. I've been offshore on diveboats in the metro area, and there was lots of stuff to see. I've even run into sea turtles diving within sight of the Manhattan skyline!

I'm not sure how the shore diving is nearer to the city though. I usually head out to the eastern end of the island to go from shore. Out there, it's great, but the season is nearing the end. Pretty soon it will get stormy, which turns the inshore waters to muck. The cold will follow right behind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom