Error Near Miss: Line entanglement while setting anchors

This Thread Prefix is for incidents caused by the diver, buddy, crew, or anyone else in the "chain".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This is not exactly a dive accident, but close enough.

This morning I was helping set and anchor docks for a hydro race on the Columbia River and had a near miss. I was not actually diving, but rather using a wetsuit and snorkel gear since aside from picking up dropped hardware it all ended up being surface work. At one point I needed to swim a 20-odd lbs river hook style anchor away from the dock and drop it 30-50 feet from the dock in 10-15 feet of water. I swam the anchor out and dropped it, but when I turned to swim back Inrealized that in the swim the anchor line had wrapped around my ankle. While I was swimming out the anchor line had wrapped itself woth each kick without beong noticed.
Fortunatly, the anchor was on the bottom and I was on the surface and so it was just a matter of a little frustration to untangle myself. Had I been tangled closer to the anchor I would have enough buoyency to not be pulled under, but it would have been a challenge.

The lesson here is that any work in the water, even not on air, requires a cutting device. If I had my dive rig on I would have had a BFK and trauma shears, but necause I was in between I had no cutting devices. Live and learn

imagine if you'd been deeper and couldn't reach the surface- it seems innocuous but these are the sort of things that given a bad set of circumstances can go horribly wrong- like those guys that die looking for golf balls !!! seems such an unlikely scenario

I generally don't go in the water without a knife strapped to my leg. I know I look like a dork going in a designated snorkeling spot, but I pretty much always take a knife.

Back
Top Bottom