Near miss last Monday coming in from Accokeek

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dinky_diver

Reaction score
I was diving last Monday in Panama City. We were coming back in from diving Accokeek wreck and was still about 2 miles out from jetties. I just happened to glance out toward west and see a yellow fin being waved some 500yards distance. It was overcast and seas were 2-3 feet. I got the captain's attention who spotted it too. We circled around and saw two divers on the surface. After bringing them on board, we learned it was a Dad and his 21yr old son. They had been in the water about an hour. They were spearfishing and carrying a float ball that his other 18 yr old son was following in their private boat. Apparantly, the weight rope on his red float ball broke and drifted away before they noticed. Looking around we saw several boats around but none closer than mile or so. The captain tried to raise someone on the radio but no response, so we drove toward a couple boats until we got close enough to figure out which one was theirs. After catching up to the younger son fishing from the boat, he was still following behind the red float. The deckhand yelled over if he had a radio but the younger son just held up a handheld radio but didn't indicate whether it was on or not. By this time after a 10 minute rest and a drink of water, both swam over to their boat. I got teased about being an eagle eye the rest of the week. However, I will now invest in a safety sausage before my next boat trip. If it had not been for that yellow fin, they could have been out there a long time.

I never go boat diving without my safety saugage! It's brought the cavalry more than once when the seas got high.

Another nice little tip that somebody posted a while back is to carry a CD (Here's a use for those AOL disks!) in your BC pocket to use as a signal mirror. They're reflective, have a sighting hole, and you can throw it away if it cracks or get's too scratched up.

Great work, Eagle Eyes...
;-)
-Grier

Way to go Eagle Eye!

Brightly colored fins are a good idea just for this purpose, you never know when you might need them.

If they had been wearing black fins do you think you would have spotted them?

dinky_diver:
I was diving last Monday in Panama City. We were coming back in from diving Accokeek wreck and was still about 2 miles out from jetties. I just happened to glance out toward west and see a yellow fin being waved some 500yards distance. It was overcast and seas were 2-3 feet. I got the captain's attention who spotted it too. We circled around and saw two divers on the surface. After bringing them on board, we learned it was a Dad and his 21yr old son. They had been in the water about an hour. They were spearfishing and carrying a float ball that his other 18 yr old son was following in their private boat. Apparantly, the weight rope on his red float ball broke and drifted away before they noticed. Looking around we saw several boats around but none closer than mile or so. The captain tried to raise someone on the radio but no response, so we drove toward a couple boats until we got close enough to figure out which one was theirs. After catching up to the younger son fishing from the boat, he was still following behind the red float. The deckhand yelled over if he had a radio but the younger son just held up a handheld radio but didn't indicate whether it was on or not. By this time after a 10 minute rest and a drink of water, both swam over to their boat. I got teased about being an eagle eye the rest of the week. However, I will now invest in a safety sausage before my next boat trip. If it had not been for that yellow fin, they could have been out there a long time.
Hey! I just got an idea for a movie... :wink:

The Dad did was waving his speargun in the air which was black. Never saw it until we turned around and started heading back toward them. The captain said if he didn't know which way to look when I got his attention, he would never had seen them. He said pink was the color easiest to see at a distance. Maybe I'll have to swipe my wife's fins next time too. :wink:

dinky_diver:
The Dad did was waving his speargun in the air which was black. Never saw it until we turned around and started heading back toward them. The captain said if he didn't know which way to look when I got his attention, he would never had seen them. He said pink was the color easiest to see at a distance. Maybe I'll have to swipe my wife's fins next time too. :wink:
I am not going to buy PINK fins, yellow is as far as I will go. I've never seen a pink safety sausage I wonder if they make them.

dinky_diver:

Haha! I now have a reason to make my husband stop making fun of all my pink gear! :)

Good save!! Way to go Dinky!

Anytime anyone asks what gear to buy next, I ask if they each have a Safety sausage, Sotrm Whistle, and at least 4 Weight Belt Keepers. A fin - especially a yellow one - can be used in a pinch, but the Sausage is worth the $20.

The Storm Whistle just seems louder than the others, btw, and the Keepers? All too often, I've seen people with web belts - either because they were renting or because they'd lost a BC weight pocket - hainvg weights slip dangerously.

EPIRB anyone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom