Near Death Experience!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This type of thing happens to a lot of people. I have no idea why safety equipment isn't emphasized more in classes and required by boat operators. The OW classes all mention various items, but don't say they're required and don't make a big deal out of telling the student that they should be able to be very visible and very loud if necessary.

There's nothing like a couple of 9' SMBs and an air horn for being noticed. They're also nice for buoyancy in case Something Bad happens to your BC, and it won't stay inflated.

Who would ever want to captain a boat and let a bunch of divers into the water that would be pretty much impossible to find if they get seperated?

Terry

LuvsItWet:
Number 1: If you've safely made it to the surface, in conditions I described, DON'T hesitate for one instant to dump your weights.

Number 2: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, TRUST YOUR GUT!!!! Can't emphasize that enough! If you don't think it's safe for YOU to dive, DON'T! DO NOT LET PEER PRESSURE talk you into something dangerous.

Number 3: I ALWAYS dive with the sonoalert I purchased when I got back (about $40.00
03.gif
US). It will let out an ear splitting shrill high pitched sound that anyone can hear. (That's what the divemaster had for his group) It fits between your regulator hose going to your BC.

Number 4: I always dive with my 8' "orange flourescent sausage" (another new purchase) when in open water. I also stuff an old CD in my BC pocket for signaling. (The hole in the center can help for aiming)

Number 5: If you're buddied (SP?) up with a stranger, tell him what you expect, and be on the same page, or find another buddy, or DON'T do the dive.

Number 6: While expensive, (let's face it, this is NOT a "poor mans sport) get your OWN gear! I don't know how many times in the past, I've had to search for where a dump valve was located, and have your gear checked out regularly by a certified dive shop. (After all, this is YOUR LIFE we're talking about!)

When I spoke about being severely in the "red" it was my guages I was referring to.
I had less than 100 lbs. left when I went to snorkle (because of my leaking bc).

If anyone wants more info, feel free to email me at MHEMMEL655@AOL.COM or post here. I should add this was a resort dive run by their operators, and this happened WAY before "Open Water the movie" came out. And yes, this resort, Hedonism II, had a habit, prior to my experience, of sending divers low on air, up by themselves. From what I hear from my friends, this is no longer their practice.

"Have fun diving, just be safe...be careful down there!"

Most of you talk like having a 6 foot long orange weenie should be a requirement before you go into an open-water dive. I have one but have never used it. Up until recently, I didn't see any need for one. I got one because of the "Open Water" movie and then felt stupid, later, for wasting the money. I have one of those whistles that hook to the BC inflator line, too. It is really good for driving away the neighbor's dog, if nothing else.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to take a big double hand full of water and splash it up into the air. It's amazing how far that can be seen, even in high seas. If you do it a couple times, somebody is bound to see you on the boat. A few years ago I came up a long way from the boat in moderate seas. After the Captain found me, he told me that trick. I have tried it and it really gets attention. Its a good trick, if you don't happent to have a surface signal device handy, anyway.

jlayman800:
Most of you talk like having a 6 foot long orange weenie should be a requirement before you go into an open-water dive. I have one but have never used it. Up until recently, I didn't see any need for one. I got one because of the "Open Water" movie and then felt stupid, later, for wasting the money.

If you end up diving where there are significant waves and current, "6 foot long orange weenie" will be your new best friend.

jlayman800:
One thing that has worked for me in the past is to take a big double hand full of water and splash it up into the air. It's amazing how far that can be seen, even in high seas.

Feel free to splash water. Personally, I'll stick with the big SMB, air horn, flashlight and strobe.

Terry

jlayman800:
Most of you talk like having a 6 foot long orange weenie should be a requirement before you go into an open-water dive. I have one but have never used it. Up until recently, I didn't see any need for one. I got one because of the "Open Water" movie and then felt stupid, later, for wasting the money. I have one of those whistles that hook to the BC inflator line, too. It is really good for driving away the neighbor's dog, if nothing else.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to take a big double hand full of water and splash it up into the air. It's amazing how far that can be seen, even in high seas. If you do it a couple times, somebody is bound to see you on the boat. A few years ago I came up a long way from the boat in moderate seas. After the Captain found me, he told me that trick. I have tried it and it really gets attention. Its a good trick, if you don't happent to have a surface signal device handy, anyway.
Well, the hope is that you never really need the signalling devices, doesn't mean they're not good to have. Kinda like insurance.

Throwing water in the air sounds like a good thing to remember in case you don't have anything else, but I think that would get tiring pretty quickly. Someone will only see it if they are looking your way when you do it.

jlayman800:

Just cause of this post Im going tomorrow to buy the "weenie". My LDS thanks you Im sure. Happy slashing.

jlayman800:

Throwing water up in the open ocean in rough seas? Isn't that like "spitting into the wind"?

LuvsItWet:
Throwing water up in the open ocean in rough seas? Isn't that like "spitting into the wind"?

It's like flagging down a passing car at night by shining your black-hole flashlight at it. :cool:

Terry

Web Monkey:
If you end up diving where there are significant waves and current, "6 foot long orange weenie" will be your new best friend.

I'll second that one. It's also nice to have something sticking up that doesn't require any effort on your part to keep it there. Those long, cold waits in high seas aren't fun, especially when you're drifting away from the boat and losing sight of it in the troughs.

BTW, I picked up a great little signal horn at Bass Pro for ~$12 the other day. 120 dB and sounds like a foghorn. I've got it attached to my sausage, with the sausage spooled around it, so it doesn't take up too much room.
-G :crafty:

GrierHPharmD:
BTW, I picked up a great little signal horn at Bass Pro for ~$12 the other day. 120 dB and sounds like a foghorn. I've got it attached to my sausage, with the sausage spooled around it, so it doesn't take up too much room.

Do you mean one of those ones with the aerosol can of air? Is that really a good thing to be taking down with you?

No, I wouldn't want to take one of those with me. This item's a small, mouth-powered horn, roughly 2" in diameter and 4" long, that you blow through a hole in the side. From some not-very-scientific testing that I did with my kids, it's much louder than those little dog whistles that most of us carry. It's also a USCG approved signaling device. I'll try to find the name of the item and post it. I didn't have any luck on the Bass Pro web site.

-G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom