Near catastrophe in Tunisia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yes - I remember Tunisia well. All I can say is make sure you are well prepared for this lot. they are a CMAS outfit. Here is a precis of a dive report I put together a couple of years ago:

* Very friendly
* Not interested in dive credentials
* No back up regs (octopus) on the reg sets
* BCDs leaked like hell
* max air fill of 180 bar
* backward rolls off the hardboat were exciting from 2m
* "instructeur" fixed a bottle o-ring by spitting on it when it leaked
* Night dives to 10m - IN THE MIDDLE OF A *******ING SHIPPING LANE !!
* No lights on boat for night dive - dont worry, they take a couple of spare torches along so you can see them when you surface
* Got a bollocking from the "instructeur" when I held up a dive at 15m to help a poor student refit her cylinder `cos it fell out
* The french receptionist girl was oooooooooooooooooooooooo and made my knees go to jelly
*They did have vinegar - I got stung on the night dive.
* "do you have O2 on the boats" - errr......whats O2

This outfit was a total eye opener and I have to say - great fun if you take your own kit and are self sufficient. The folk were very friendly but be firm with them !! OH - and on a funny note, we had a bsac instructer on some of our dives and he was too firm with them, typical sargeant major type, they really pissed him off and in the end actually said to him "you not like dives with us, you ****** off" - Classic stuff.

The above comments are 100% accurate - monty python or what ?

Oh happy days

Kirky:
Oh yes - I remember Tunisia well. All I can say is make sure you are well prepared for this lot. they are a CMAS outfit. Here is a precis of a dive report I put together a couple of years ago:

* Very friendly
* Not interested in dive credentials
* No back up regs (octopus) on the reg sets
* BCDs leaked like hell
* max air fill of 180 bar
* backward rolls off the hardboat were exciting from 2m
* "instructeur" fixed a bottle o-ring by spitting on it when it leaked
* Night dives to 10m - IN THE MIDDLE OF A *******ING SHIPPING LANE !!
* No lights on boat for night dive - dont worry, they take a couple of spare torches along so you can see them when you surface
* Got a bollocking from the "instructeur" when I held up a dive at 15m to help a poor student refit her cylinder `cos it fell out
* The french receptionist girl was oooooooooooooooooooooooo and made my knees go to jelly
*They did have vinegar - I got stung on the night dive.
* "do you have O2 on the boats" - errr......whats O2

This outfit was a total eye opener and I have to say - great fun if you take your own kit and are self sufficient. The folk were very friendly but be firm with them !! OH - and on a funny note, we had a bsac instructer on some of our dives and he was too firm with them, typical sargeant major type, they really pissed him off and in the end actually said to him "you not like dives with us, you ****** off" - Classic stuff.

The above comments are 100% accurate - monty python or what ?

Oh happy days

So, now you come forward! Where were you when I asked on here BEFORE I went. LOL :D

TheDivingPreacher:
No, I do not speak French. The dive guide spoke a few words in broken English. He did not communicate with these non-divers at all other than to get them set-up with gear and tell them they would get an hour underwater.

The Frenchman was my buddy on the first dive. He left after that dive and did not dive with us again.

Given that, I don't think that I would have gone for a second dive. Scary sounding Dive Op.

It was my first dive abroad in warm water about 4 years ago - what an eye opener. When I arrived I asked a Scotsman what the outfit was like - he smiled wryly and said "a little different"

Glad I took my own kit !!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom