Near catastrophe in Tunisia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took the opportunity recently to travel to the island of Djerba, which is part of the country of Tunisia in northern Africa. I went looking for some warm water to dive in and some sun for the family to bask in as it is already getting cold here in central Europe. I was told that divers from here do not go to Tunisia for the diving but it was possible to do there. After a long and arduous search I found a "dive center", and I will use that term very loosely here. They did in fact offer diving so the name will fit. I will not post the name of the club but I am hoping someone can give me contact information for C.M.A.S so I can report this "club" to them.

Anyway, here is what happened. I arrived to ask about going out to the some wrecks near the island and was told it was possible but not that day because he didn't want to go out that day. Okay, fine, I return the next day and did finally get to head out with one other diver to an Italian war ship from World War One. Very nice dive, interesting wreck at 20 meters depth. Warm water, nice vis, for me anyway, and a good dive buddy, a frenchman also there on vacation.

We returned to shore and I pressed to go out a second time to another wreck as the day was so nice and I did come to dive. We were just getting underway when the dM called shore to tell them we were heading out. Some fellow businessmen on the shore told him he had other customers at the shack. He told me I would have to wait, which I understood perfectly well as it wasn't financially expedient to take one person out. So we waited about 45 minutes to get these two divers onboard the 18 foot boat we were heading out 3 km into 5 foot seas with, and we were off.

They turn out to be two Swedes on holiday who want to get some diving in as well. GREAT! I think to myself. This will be fun. Then the one asks me if I dive very often. Then when I return the question he tells me he went once when he was 12 but this is his friends first time. They are both about 25 I think. He then asks me if there is anything they should know before we get to the dive site. Oh, I forgot to say, the dive guide spoke only French and had not explained anything to them before getting their money and getting them on the boat. I ask about training. NONE! he says. He then holds up his inflator and asks if the little button is for making them go up and down. I hang my head and pray. I just told him the most important thing would be to stay close to the instructor and to stay calm whatever happened.

I fall overboard first and get to the line in the rough water. The first of them gets to me and is starting to sink because he has not even been told how to inflate his jacket. We all get down to the wreck at 19-20 meters and I realize this is the same wreck we were on earlier. No problem I say, There is plenty to explore still. I look over to see what the instructor is doing with these non-divers? Nothing! He is swimming away like he is leading an experienced group. These two are kicking and flailing trying to stay off the bottom. I decided to just get away from the three of them. These two spent 20 minutes falling all over the wreck, destroying the vis, which was honestly the least of my worries at that time, before the instructor drag/leads them back to the boat. He wants me to stay by the anchor till he returns which against some wisdom I do. He returns and we continue for another 15 minutes before we have to end the dive and return to the boat.

On the way back to shore the one man tells ME that he is not really satisfied because they were told they would get an hour underwater. I told him that they were lucky to be alive. If either of them had panicked and headed to the surface holding their breath it would have been a sure fatality. This instructor, imo, should not be allowed to hold a license and continue to put people at such risk. These men had an expectation of a certain level of safety and watchcare which they did not receive. Again, the language barrier kept them from voicing much of a complaint. I would report this shop to C.M.A.S but could not find any information on their site about who to report them to.

So, my recommendation is that you don't go to Djerba for the diving :). Anybody with information can pm me. I would also post the name of the club but I think it would be removed.

Jeff

Jeff,

Just read your post with my eyes getting wider and wider as I got further down - what you experienced is practically unbelieveable! I strongly recommend that you persist in trying to find a method to get this reported, and simply give them your above message.

I'm sure that someone else on the list can help you with this, but in the meantime, I'll start scouting about & PM you if I make any progress.

I actually tried to do something similar after a very hairy experience in Thailand (for the record, I didn't do it, regretted not doing it, but the place shut down about 2 months afterwards - poetic justice).

I guess this shop was affiliated to one or other of the dive agencies, do you mind letting us know who?

I'm still in shock!

They are affiliated with C.M.A.S and they have a PADI sign on the wall but as most of the info is in French I couldn't find a license #

Since it wasn't a class, I'm not certain what the agency could do about it. If they are a PADI retail association member shop or resort they signed an agreement to only provide airfills and such to certified divers. However, if they don't belong to any such oprganization they are then under NO obligation to follow any sich standards. So...if they weren't violating any local laws, weren't teaching a class and aren't bound by any retail organization standards then there just isn't anything that any training agency can do. They simply provided a boat ride for money.

Even if it was a guided dive, there are no written standards that must be followed with any agency I have been affiliated with (PADI and IANTD). So again, if there was no violation of a written standard that the business has agreed to follow, then there isn't anything that any one can do. A dive shop or resort that isn't bound by any retail association standards (a non-member) can sell brathing gas or boat rides to any one they choose.

MikeFerrara:
Since it wasn't a class, I'm not certain what the agency could do about it. If they are a PADI retail association member shop or resort they signed an agreement to only provide airfills and such to certified divers. However, if they don't belong to any such oprganization they are then under NO obligation to follow any sich standards. So...if they weren't violating any local laws, weren't teaching a class and aren't bound by any retail organization standards then there just isn't anything that any training agency can do. They simply provided a boat ride for money.

Even if it was a guided dive, there are no written standards that must be followed with any agency I have been affiliated with (PADI and IANTD). So again, if there was no violation of a written standard that the business has agreed to follow, then there isn't anything that any one can do. A dive shop or resort that isn't bound by any retail association standards (a non-member) can sell brathing gas or boat rides to any one they choose.

I expect this was probably the case, but when you see something that crazy you just hope there might be some possible recourse.

Ummm, also worth noting.....SHAME SHAME SHAME on those two divers (non-divers) for putting you, your buddy, and the dive shop dood at risk.

Although it was not your job, if I were you, I would have tried my best to explain as much as possible about the buoyancy, equalization, reminder of the octupus / alternate air supply, hand signals, ascent with a deflated BC, etc. before getting in the same water as them. I would have made sure the divemaster (let me call him that for now) made sure their air was on or I would make sure it was on for them. Nothing worse than an inexperienceed diver coming at me in less than perfect vis grabbing all over me and fighting me for my main air supply. I don't know what you thought praying would have done?

As far as recourse, I would be too scared to talk back to the divemaster in FREAKING AFRICA of all places, stating, "1 sec as we cover some essential safety briefing stuff".

Sorry to bite into you, preacher, but I must do this (so shoot me). I am not sure why you did not make sure their BC was sufficiently filled??? I know it was not your job and all, but, we need to watch out for our fellow divers (or non-divers) even if they are or not our immediate buddy. They were obviously in need of some supervision / assistance by SOMEBODY on that boat.

Case in point about not watching out for fellow divers: A guy who I dove with, but who had taken an afternoon dive without me, told me the next day that he was left in OPEN water. The cause was that he got in the water, when the "Pool was Open", and the divemaster had a change of mind on the dive site. Without doing a head count, the divemaster, captain, and a boatload of other divers motored off without him. He was lucky that he was in close proximity to another boat of divers who picked him up.

Yes, while it is fair to put much of the blame on the dive shop. divemaster, and boat captian for not following an established set of procedures of head count, I also put blame on the other divers. Shame on them for being "ALL ME ME ME ME ME" and not realizing he was missing and speaking up. I count every diver myself on a boat, even though it is not my job and I do not get any compensation or credit.

Anyway...sorry for the tough luv, but this is how I dive. I am sure there are different oppinions on this...so I plan to get bitten back. It's ok...I got thick skin.

AXL72:
I don't know what you thought praying would have done?

Well, since what I was praying for was their safe return to the boat, I'd say the prayer accomplished exactly what was asked. :05:

As for the rest of it, thank you for expressing your opinion.

Jeff

Greetings,

Although I haven’t formally traveled down the path of drinking the Kool-aid yet, this situation clearly demonstrates why pre-dive communication is an essential part of any dive (buddies teams or pairs, establishing hand signals, “what if” scenarios, etc.). I love to dive when ever I can, but as mentioned before, if the boat does not have some basic equipment on board (Emergency O2, First Aid Kit, Radio, etc), I’ll thumb the dive before leaving the dock.

I am relieved that no one was serious injured! I would consider this an extremely fortunate learning opportunity of what not to do next time.

Just curious, what would you do in a similar situation? Since we can all benefit from this opportunity, what mental checklist do you apply when driving abroad with unfamiliar dive operations?

TheDivingPreacher:
Oh, I forgot to say, the dive guide spoke only French and had not explained anything to them before getting their money and getting them on the boat.

I am a bit confused. Do you speak French, or was the dive guide unable to communicate with any of the divers.
TheDivingPreacher:
I look over to see what the instructor is doing with these non-divers? Nothing! He is swimming away like he is leading an experienced group. These two are kicking and flailing trying to stay off the bottom. I decided to just get away from the three of them. These two spent 20 minutes falling all over the wreck, destroying the vis, which was honestly the least of my worries at that time, before the instructor drag/leads them back to the boat. He wants me to stay by the anchor till he returns which against some wisdom I do. He returns and we continue for another 15 minutes before we have to end the dive and return to the boat.

Were you diving solo? Are you certified to dive solo? You talked about a Frenchman as your buddy during the first dive. Was he also on the boat and diving with you on the second dive?

tedtim:
I am a bit confused. Do you speak French, or was the dive guide unable to communicate with any of the divers.

Were you diving solo? Are you certified to dive solo? You talked about a Frenchman as your buddy during the first dive. Was he also on the boat and diving with you on the second dive?

No, I do not speak French. The dive guide spoke a few words in broken English. He did not communicate with these non-divers at all other than to get them set-up with gear and tell them they would get an hour underwater.

The Frenchman was my buddy on the first dive. He left after that dive and did not dive with us again.

zero:
Just curious, what would you do in a similar situation? Since we can all benefit from this opportunity, what mental checklist do you apply when driving abroad with unfamiliar dive operations?

I deserve some criticism for this but what happened is this:
We went on this particular trip to please both the family and myself. I am the only one who dives and they didn't want to go back to someplace where we had already been.

My first response upon seeing the dive operation should have been to go back to the hotel and put my dive gear away, but I didn't. I came all this way to dive and I decided I was going to do it!
I watched him fill the tanks and clean the filters on the compressor. Then I sniffed the air and since it seemed clean I went for it. I felt confident in my God, my gear and my skills. In that order.

So, what did I learn?
1. Don't try to mix vacations :) I'll choose a place to dive and go there and then I'll take the family to a location of their liking, or vice versa.
2. Decide on the dive operation before I go. Have all the information ahead of time. Don't hope to find an op when I get there.
3. If it looks bad up front, call the trip. Live to dive another day in another location. Not that I can be threatened with going to Heaven, :11: but for now I am needed here.

I'm sure there is more but that's all that comes to mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom