Neah Bay/Sekiu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Got in my 1,500th dive this past week-end ... in Neah Bay. This was the annual Emerald Seas Dive Club trip. Cheng and I just went for the week-end, althoug some of the crew are still out there. We did two dives off of Porthole Charters, and two dives in Sekiu.

Our original plan was to also do a dive on Friday at Salt Creek on the way out ... but one look at the surf booming into the rocks was enough to convince us that it probably wasn't a good idea ... so we hightailed it out to Sekiu and did a dive there instead. It wasn't "magical" like the dives we did in early June, but vis was nice and there was plenty to see.

Saturday we were up early (3:30) and were loading the boat in Neah Bay by 5 AM. The plan was to hit Duncan Rock early. Unfortunately, we got there a bit late and the currents were already turning the place into a washing machine ... so we decided not to dive it. Instead we turned back toward shore, to a place called "Ballbag Cove". That was a nice site, and vis was on the order of 50 feet or so. The best part of this dive was a "canyon" where we were swimming between two sheer walls ... the separation between them was on average about 15-20 feet, but there was one place where it narrowed down to the point where two people could not swim side-by-side. It was very cool. Our second dive was on the south side of Tatoosh Island, in a cove enclosed on the east side by some pretty nice walls and sloping down to ledges as you went westward. This is where dungeness crabs go to molt ... there were MILLIONS of empty shells, sometimes several layers thick, littering the bottom. But the walls and ledges were the real treat ... and technicolor display of sea life with anemones and nudibranchs everywhere. A great dive!

Oddly, we were back on shore by 10 AM, and back in Sekiu by 11. So Cheng and I did a third dive that day at Sekiu ... which proved to be the best dive of the whole trip. We stayed out there 71 minutes, and while our hearts and air supply wanted to prolong the dive, our body temps didn't ... the water out there is 46 degrees and we were both getting cold.

Sunday when we got up it was raining and chilly, so we decided to bag the planned dive and just head home.

Here's a photo show of our week-end's dives ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/WH4eE9fW

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Congrats on a grand and a half :)

Very nice, Bob! It sure makes me miss those things.

Bob,
What a great show...thanks for sharing.
Kirsten

I was working near Salt Creek and had all my gear but just couldn't cut loose until Sunday.

Great show as always and a big "all right!" on #1500. Here's to 1501 and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom