NE1 here use Apollo Bio-Filter with your regs? Think those rusty steel tanks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

work4mike

Reaction score
Just wondering if NE1 can report back whether this is a worthwhile piece of gadget to have. I have seen some steel tanks that are so rusty inside.... imagine you rent those all the time....

;-)

if tend to do extended dives, or do not hydrate properly, they are fantastic for dry mouth. As far as the "bad air" scenario, what the hell, it can't hurt.

If you have "rusty air" from a bad tank, the only thing the bio filter would do is make it moist rusty air. And if you use the charcoal filter, it would even take out most the rust.

scubatoys:
If you have "rusty air" from a bad tank, the only thing the bio filter would do is make it moist rusty air. And if you use the charcoal filter, it would even take out most the rust.

OOPS,, guess I was'nt clear. Of course, you would have to install the charcoal filter to scrub the air. I probably should have said somthing about not :D being able to use it with enriched mixtures as well. Not to mention...if I saw "rusty air" in a white towel, I aint divin that tank!

Are you not supposed to use this filter with enriched mixtures at all? Or just mixtures over 40%?

Depends on which person you want to talk to which day... Overall, one camp believes that if you have anything above 21, treat it as O2, the other camp believes below 40, treat it as air... And I've got a sleeping bag in the later camp site.

scubatoys:
Depends on which person you want to talk to which day... Overall, one camp believes that if you have anything above 21, treat it as O2, the other camp believes below 40, treat it as air... And I've got a sleeping bag in the later camp site.

We agree with our friend Larry. If you are using EAN over 40% we recommend you remove the activated charcoal filter to prevent any potential problem with combustion.
The bio-filter with or w/o the charcoal filter will provide rehumidified air and help prevent all the normal problems, dry mouth, dry lungs, sinus headache, that is a result of breathing the very dry air/gas we normally use for diving.

When I first read about this, I didn't see anything about the charcoal. I thought this was only a humidifier. Shouldn't the air coming out of the tank be clean? Or is it one of those things, in theory the air should be clean, but in reality.....?

JGibeault:
When I first read about this, I didn't see anything about the charcoal. I thought this was only a humidifier. Shouldn't the air coming out of the tank be clean? Or is it one of those things, in theory the air should be clean, but in reality.....?

Yep. That is exactly my concerns. As a recreational diver who rents tanks, I didn't even know how to test the air with the white cloth, until I read TeddyDiver's response. Thanks Teddy!

I also always assumed the best...

Therefore, I am only interested in the product installed with the charcoal filter. Unless there is something else out there which I can guarantee that I am sucking in clean air. I have NEVER seen 1st stage regs which provide a air filtering function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom