NDR: Side trips from Toronto to the countryside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makin Raider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all,
Couldn't think of a better bunch of people to seek advice from since we're not always underwater. I was born in Toronto but grew up in Los Angeles and I'm bringing the family, 12 year old boy and 13 year old girl on a mixed roadtrip to visit extended family in Michigan and Toronto during the first week of July. We've got our Toronto time packed but I want to set aside a day for a trip to the countryside.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mark

Hello there Mark.

Muskoka is about 1.5-2 hours north of Toronto and is a region known for it's lakes and natural beauty. It's definitely worth a day trip. Steamboat tours around Lake Muskoka leave from the town of Gravenhurst, the sunsets on Muskoka Bay are breathtaking.

Hope this helps.

-J.-

Mark,

You might also want to head east to Kingston and 1000 Island area 2-3 hrs east right on the 401...beautiful country

Niagara Falls is about 75 minutes away from Toronto.
(and you might also sneak in a Niagara River Drift Dive!)

The Kawartha Lakes Region a couple of hours northeast of T.O.
I'm biased, of course, as that's where I was born and raised.

Prince Edward County is great as well. Lots of great country roads to bike along, Sandbanks Provincial Park is beautiful, great little towns to visit, like Bloomfield.

Head east from TO on the 401, and south at Trenton on 33. Follow the Loyalist Parkway through the county.

Check out: http://www.pec.on.ca/Welcome.html.

Cheers,
Liz

Huge thanks, I'm definately going to take the kids to Niagra Falls and I wish I could take them to Kingston. I was stationed at Fort Drum and we spent a lot of time there, beautiful city and area. When I see articles about how great the diving is in the St Lawerence Seaway I kick myself for not learning earlier. Thanks again for the ideas.

Mark

P.S. If any of you ever need a buddy in when you're in SoCal please look me up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom