NDR- Please, please talk to your kids (+)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The funeral was today for a 15 y/o boy from the town I work in as a Paramedic. He died by suicide last week.
If it could have been any worse, he was found by his father who is a police officer in town and a Paramedic. I cannot even begin to understand how painful it must have been for him. Only child. He had sole custody of the son. By all accounts the son was "normal". I just talked to the medic who did the call and is friends with the Dad like we all are. It brings back the feelings from the 10 day old little girl who was in cardiac arrest that I tried to save last year. So much hurt. So young.

Why?

Sorry this isn't better written and this likely isn't the place to post but I needed to get it out. Thanks.

No one has the answer to why? It's Senseless. Two years ago we had a 13 year old in the neighboring community that we provide ALS to do it. The back story was that he was bullied at school alot. It never gets easy. My pedi arrest was a 3 month old. That was about 12 years ago. I still get alittle anxious when we get a child in distress call. As long as your friend knows that he did everything possible. Some times we can't change the outcome. But by posting this to others who may take this as an opportunity to talk to their kids may change an outcome that no one wants to see repeat itself.

I hope your community ran a CISD for all involved with the call.

Swampy

I work for a private service who shall remain nameless. CISD just isn't part of their plan. I asked to speak to someone/ANYONE after my pedi code and was told "Well, could it wait? We don't have coverage." A few of us have met with the medic and we hashed it out. It almost helped that Dad was one of us since he knew what was being done.

...hope I don't sound bitter :banghead:

Advanced Life Support: ALS

Pedi Code: A "code" is when someone's vital signs flatline. A "code" is also an ambulance call. Pedi stands for "Pediatrics.

CISD is the debriefing that goes on after a particularly rough or difficult call. Counseling is also usually available.

Define "NDR"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom