NDR: emus take over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Sometimes it's fun just to be there...

Monday two emus came and took over our yard. I grabbed my camera with the 17-70 and crawled around on the ground trying to avoid being run over while attempting to get some shots. These were two of the most skittish emus I've ever seen - every noise set them off, then they'd come right back again. They never held still - always bobbing their heads up and down and back and forth - for as long as I spent with them getting crisp shots was a real pain in the patootie.

I had to roll under the car a couple of times to get out of the way as they thumpered off and I had to use our pathetically scrawny baby trees as shields a few times, too. They weren't vicious, just big and clumsy.

Between me and the front door...
emusfrontdoor1.jpg

Then between me and car...
emuscruiser1.jpg

Our son put his glass down for them and they took turns, each coming right up, sitting all the way down and proceeding to flick more water all over everything than they actually drank...
emuglass1.jpg

emuglass2.jpg

It was an entertaining way to spend some time on a glorious afternoon.

Enjoy...

Nice shots and an interesting experience.

We certainly don't have any of those here :14:

Thanks, Guys.

Feeding isn't encouraged - they can get a little over-enthusiastic and no one wants them "trained" to come for food. Lots of people put out little containers of water for them so each group of emus has its "rounds" throughout the week :wink: We give visiting emus a handful of Sultana Bran some days when they visit but we try not to do it very often...they scare our cats!

G'Day Alcina,

Funny pictures. They remind me of that outback painter that uses emus in his work a lot. Do you remember his name?

I went to Jervis Bay on Saturday and drove past a emu pie shop. In the field next door there where emus every where.:shakehead: :shakehead: I couldnt bring myself to get a pie.

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom