Ndiver 42lb sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hleaker

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone with experience of using this?
I have been diving independent 12L twins for over 20 years, drysuit and wetsuit, and now feeling the weight …..
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Haydn

I would advise against it and look towards a XDeep Stealth Tec, Hollis Katana 2, or a Razor depending on your cylinder selection. A budget option would be making your own or going with something from DECO Scuba diving equipment specializing in sidemount wings and harnesses.

Wing isn’t baffled so it’s quite high profile, lift isn’t in a good spot, dump is in an exposed and imo poor position, weight pockets aren’t in an appropriate spot. Kind of looks like something designed by someone that has never dived sidemount or at very least not at a high level. There’s a reason it’s offered at 80 quid I’m afraid.

I think you must have been reading my mind as to why I posted. Many thanks for your view, it was what I sort of expected.
It’s quite difficult to choose which way to go as I know no one in the UK who uses sidemount, let alone both desist UK and wetsuit, with different cylinders, and frankly as I have some cave experience am loathe to pay for a course that covers so many things I feel competent at - but am sure revision wouldn’t harm.

I don't have experience with the Hollis, but I would say that @grantctobin is apparently able to read my mind.

The ndiver thing looks like an abomination.

Y
Anyone with experience of using this?
I have been diving independent 12L twins for over 20 years, drysuit and wetsuit, and now feeling the weight …..
Thanks in advance for any comments.
Haydn
You should pay attention to two things:
1) the wing
2) the weight system

You have independent 12L steel cylinders just like I have. I dive with them sidemounted. 7L steels of course feel a million times better, but 12L are OK and carry much more air. You would typically mount these on a belt D-ring (not on a buttplate). Steels are heavy, thus you'll want them to be about in balance. Next you need to look at the bungees: classical shoulder to chest D-ring bungees or loop bungees (around the valve only) or ring bungees. Whatever you have/choose, it's easy to change!!!

The more relevant things are:
1) make sure the wing stays close to your back (mine did not and it led to a really really bad incident, which I survived). All the commercial sidemount kits have this covered.
2) pick a weight system that you like. Some sets come with pouches (such as Xdeep) or can be used without (such as Xdeep). Other kits include the lovely Razor sidemount, the Halcyon contour (the HDV of sidemount), DiveRite SMS100, the Diamond and many more.

What is up with that "wing?"
1683322541634.png

You might not need a "sidemount pouch" as you already have pocket(s) in your suit.
Some people love back zipper drysuits, I don't. I want to get out by myself.

I think you must have been reading my mind as to why I posted. Many thanks for your view, it was what I sort of expected.
It’s quite difficult to choose which way to go as I know no one in the UK who uses sidemount, let alone both desist UK and wetsuit, with different cylinders, and frankly as I have some cave experience am loathe to pay for a course that covers so many things I feel competent at - but am sure revision wouldn’t harm.
Umm, sidemount was pretty much invented in the UK. Different style sure, for navigating sumps, but I'm sure if you really looked of contacted some of the cavers in the UK you could find a few willing to give you some tips. As for that rig? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the first thing I saw.
Until I retired I taught recreational sidemount and AN/DP/Adv Wreck tech classes using sidemount. I was teaching tech sidemount, just didn't have the card.
I have actually used the following systems to one extent or another - Hollis SMS 100 and SMS 75, Dive Rite Nomad LS and LT, HOG, Manta, XDeep Stealth and Classic. I've set up Scubapro (complete piece of crap, whoever designed this should be ashamed) and I've made two of my own rigs from scratch around an XDeep Classic wing and a 20lb deco sidemount bladder.
With that said, I agree with Grant and would seriously consider the Katana or DR Nomad LS if you want something that you don't have to completely assemble and don't have someone knowledgeable to help you assemble it.
If you are ok with building one, especially for cold water and drysuit use, the Stealth wins. Hands down. I've built more than few of them for students and I've gotten to try it. It just plain works and since it is just about infinitely customizable size wise, it can fit like a glove.
It does take some fiddling and having someone who has assembled them and has experience with multiple rigs exponentially shortens the learning curve.
Here in the US the problem is there is a butt load of instructors "certified" to teach it. The number who actually can teach it, dive it regularly, and have experience with multiple systems is much, much smaller.

I know no one in the UK who uses sidemount
You are not a caver then. The Cave Diving Group has relied on sidemount for decades.
The Mendip Hills AONB with its caves isn't terribly far away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom