NC Wreck Shark Shootout 2018 (my photos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got home from the Wreck Shark Shootout (Olympus Dive Center, Morehead City, NC) yesterday morning. We were blown out on the first day that was supposed to be for recon dives. But, we got out every day after that. We did 10 dives over 5 days. We dived the Atlas (several times), the Caribsea, the tugs, the Spar, the Indra, and the U-352.

My full album of photos is here:

WSS2018 | Facebook

It's Facebook but, in theory, you don't need a FB account to view the album.

Here are a few of my most favorite of the pictures I got. I was shooting an Olympus OM-D E-M10 (with kit 14-42 lens and Meikon wet wide angle dome) with 2 x Inon Z240 strobes.

P6032929-Edited.jpg
P6032930-Edited.jpg
P6032957-Edited.jpg
P6032985-Edited.jpg
P6033051-Edited.jpg
P6033304-Edited.jpg

Attachments

• P6032929-Edited.jpg
    P6032929-Edited.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 47
  • P6032930-Edited.jpg
    P6032930-Edited.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 67
  • P6032957-Edited.jpg
    P6032957-Edited.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 58
Nice! That was on my list of "must do" trips this year but couldn't swing it... Maybe next year.

Just do it! :)

It was my 3rd year in a row. It is a really great, fun event with a lot of nice people and some very good photographers.

The contest winners have been posted here:

NC Wreck•Shark Shootout 2018 Winners | Best in Show - Frank Baensch

Most surprising, the Overall Best Photo (which won a free week on the Odyssey liveaboard in Truk) has no sharks and no wrecks in the photo.

Hopefully, I'll see you there next year!

Nice photos Stuart. We are sitting here in MB watching and so envious. And thanks for linking the contest shots. I especially enjoyed the short videos. Haven’t looked at all the stills yet. Did you have a winner?

Have you posted a trip report yet? Would be very interested in reading the travel logistics and dive planning involved.

Thanks, Lisa!

I did not win anything. All the contest entries had to be submitted by 6p on Saturday. 40 of the 56 photos I put up on FB were shot on Sunday - the day after the judging. The photos I got on Thu - Sat were not very good. The first few on FB are from those days.

Basically, the best day for getting shark photos was Thu, when we went to the Atlas and the Caribsea. And, that day, I really made some poor choices on where to go look for my photo opportunities. So, I got bupkiss. We went back to the Atlas on Sunday. It was so good we stayed and did 2 dives there. It was overrun with sharks and I made good/lucky choices that day on where to setup to take pictures.

It would have been nice to have some of the photos that I got on Sunday, earlier. Maybe I might have placed in the Best Shark photo category. Oh, well. Next year! :D

No trip reports yet. I've been too busy to do one for my Coz trip, and I just got home from NC early yesterday morning. We did a Meg Tooth dive charter on Monday, out of Wilmington. I found one nice one. Last night, it was all I could do to edit shark photos....

Nice pics Stu

Back
Top Bottom