NC Meg teeth dives and REAL sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all... I was on a Spearit meg tooth dive last year and I had a brief encounter/sighting of a pretty large shark. Here's the scenario. I was coming up the anchor line and was at 50 ft or so, lower viz conditions and I couldn't see the bottom or the boat up top. As I was looking up the line I saw, what I thought at first, a very large wahoo type of fish. Due to the viz I couldn't see any markings or coloration, just the silouette. After a second or 2 of looking at it I noticed the tail.... this was no doubt a shark. It had a long slender body like a Blue or a Silky but the pectorals were really short. So this has me thinking it may have been a shortfin mako. Back on the boat I asked the DM if he saw the shark and he said he saw an 8 ft tiger shark swimming around us as we all looked for teeth! *** ha ha. ANYWAY, have any of you seen sharks while on meg trips and if so what kind were they. By the way my biggest tooth was only a 4 incher :(

i've never been on a meg trip, but by far the most common shark i see - sand tigers!!

i've never been on a meg trip, but by far the most common shark i see - sand tigers!!

I love the sand tigers out there! I dove the U-352 and the Aeolis a few weeks ago and only saw 1 though! But yeah, this one I saw on the Meg trip definately wasn't a sand tiger.

I've never seen a shark, let alone a tiger shark, while meg diving. Heck I've never seen a tiger shark period. I've seen tons of sand tigers on various wrecks off NC though. Count yourself lucky!

Never seen a shark on a meg ledge dive, although my face is always buried in the sand. They usually hang out around the wrecks. I have seen numerous sandies and the occasional sandbar

I've never seen a shark, let alone a tiger shark, while meg diving. Heck I've never seen a tiger shark period. I've seen tons of sand tigers on various wrecks off NC though. Count yourself lucky!
Yeah, I didn't see the tiger he was talking about....I have a feeling he was just effin with me though.
I have seen bull, sand tigers, nurse, reef, white tips, and tiger sharks. Locations: NC, SC, FL
Oceanic white tips????
Never seen a shark on a meg ledge dive, although my face is always buried in the sand. They usually hang out around the wrecks. I have seen numerous sandies and the occasional sandbar
No one I have asked has said they have seen a shark on a Meg dive. I'm sure having your face in the sand the whole time has a lot to do with that. I think mine was just a chance encounter in mid water. Had I not been looking up at that moment I would have never seen it. I just wish I knew what kind it was!

Two years ago while on my first trip with Spearit the mate (I don't recall his name)told us that he was diving two weeks earlier and he saw a hugh hammerhead swim by. When he was finished looking for teeth, he clipped off his scooter to his bc and was un-hooking the anchor when all of a sudden he was being jerked around by a hugh fish that had ahold of his scooter, it bit through the line and took off with the scooter. They searched ffor awhile on the surface (it was possitively bouyant but never found it. I wish he wouldn't have he told us this story on the way out because I spent most of the first dive looking over my shoulder!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom