Navy Divers please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beach757

New
Reaction score
Im thinking about joining the navy and becoming a seabee and then becoming a underwater construction diver. If anyone could help and just give me some advice about the job and any personal experience. And if i pass what i should really be expecting as far as what i actually will be doin on the job. Thanks.

Retired Reserve Seabee myself, never with a UCT.......so can't offer any comment on that...

But I can say that the Navy was great for me, after active duty went to college on the GI Bill.....stayed in the Reserves and retired in 2008.....one of my better choices in life.....

Hope this helps.....M

Have you spoken to a recruiter or visited Navy Web sites? When I joined in the late 60s, diving was a secondary rating so I could not be guaranteed diving on enlistment (assuming qualifications are met). So the next best thing was to find out what primary ratings were in high demand with a diving secondary and see what assurances might be available. It sounds like you may be able to get more assurance now. Copied from:

Navy Diving | Qualifications

REQUIREMENTS:
To be accepted by the Navy Dive and Salvage Training Command (NDSTC), located in Panama City, Fla., candidates for Navy Diver can enroll no later than their 30th birthday. Candidates can apply for the Navy Challenge contract for Divers in Delayed Entry Program or can volunteer for Navy Diver during Recruit Training (Boot Camp) or at any time during their first enlistment.

Do a lot of research. Some of these sites may be of interest:

Navy Diving | We Dive The World Over

NavyDiver.org

For that matter, just Google: us navy diving school. Naturally, mechanical aptitude and very high comfort levels in the water are very important. You could probably get a tour of the Naval Diving & Salvage Training Center (NDSTC) in Panama City, Florida. It would be well worth the trip if you can make it. Don’t just take a recruiter's word for anything, just take everything in and research it farther. You can get a lot out of the military if you have a goal. You may get a little grief talking to some Navy divers, but you will get a lot of insight if you are persistent.

I had been sport diving 7 years before joining. Previous diving experience was not outwardly considered an asset, at least then. However, it was obvious that my comfort level in the water was higher than competition swimmers in my class. I imagine it has not changed much, but any hint of panic during training will likely get you washed out. Lots of time in the water before joining is the best preparation to avoid that. Freediving skills may well be more useful than Scuba — they will teach you all that and more.

There are a lot of different jobs done by Navy divers. Maybe you could meet some divers at a SeaBea base? Is Port Hueneme, California close? It is amazing what in can get invited to if you just ask.

Best of luck.

I just checked the site......

First you have to be a Seabee then you can apply for diver training and joining a UCT........

• E-6 or below in a Seabee or Corpsman rating
  • 3.0 or higher performance evaluation average for prior two years and a positive recommendation from their Commanding Officer.
  • No NJP within twelve months of application
  • Eligible for a secret security clearance
  • Minimum ASVAB scores:
  • Mechanical Comprehension: 50
  • AR + (*) = 104
  • (*) For ASVAB 5,6,7 use WK score
  • (*) for ASVAB 8,9,10 use VE score
  • 36 months minimum obligated service as of class graduation date from dive school

M

Thanks for the quick responses. I live in virginia so cali is a lil far. Ya ive read every site i can find on navy divers and watched many you tube videos of their training and etc. I havent talked to any recruiters yet i just recently made the decision to join because of finances and paying for college. I was trying to see if there was anything that the websites werent really telling me or that i just simply couldnt get from the website. I been in the water my whole life and am pretty comfortable in it and ive played college football so the training im not to worried about.

The only thing I would add is that the Navy now has a "preform to serve" program....

You have to pass a PST board to be allowed to re-enlist and continue to serve or get selected for advanced training.....

All fine if you do a great job, are disciplined and have solid military bearing......

Not good if you are marginal or a screw up.......

All Navy training is a two way street you must meet the standards or be dropped....

Once dropped you are still in the Navy but without the training........and you will go to the fleet as a non-rate......

If you plan is UCT then be the very best Seabee you can be and you may get a shot but it is not guaranteed......dive school is a tough one to get....

As an enlisted I made it through the nuclear training program as an electrician......of the 10 Nuc designees who started in my boot camp class......only 2 made it to the fleet as Nucs....

I am sure the UCT's are looking for the very best Builders, Construction Electricians, Equipment Operators, Utilitiesmen, Mechanics and Engineering Aids - so Seabee first then diver........

Go in with your eyes open....the Navy is not as much physical as mental......for most rates anyway other than SEALS, etc...

A great option.......be prepared........GO NAVY.......M

and I forgot......good luck, the Navy needs good sailors who are proud to serve their country.......

M

Beach757:

Not Navy, but Navy's older brother (Marines).
Just wanted to say best of luck with the Navy and
hope you do well with your diving.

Your service time will be some of the best time spent
and will give you a life time of friends and memories.

Thanks for the quick responses. I live in virginia so cali is a lil far. Ya ive read every site i can find on navy divers and watched many you tube videos of their training and etc. I havent talked to any recruiters yet i just recently made the decision to join because of finances and paying for college. I was trying to see if there was anything that the websites werent really telling me or that i just simply couldnt get from the website. I been in the water my whole life and am pretty comfortable in it and ive played college football so the training im not to worried about.

Hey Beach757, your closer than you think to the Navy dive community. One of the UCT teams are in Little Creek along with Navy Diving & Salvage units, Seals, & EOD. For UCT (unless it has changed recently), you do have to become a Seabee first, then attend dive school later. For Seal, Diver, or EOD (now that they are rates), you will have to pass the dive PRT before you even get a contract for boot camp. Following boot camp, you'll attend the prep course before heading off to BUDS or Dive school. Just keep a good attitude and don't quit!! If you need additional info, please feel free to PM me. I'm reserve EOD, but my Senior Chief is a former UCT diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom