Nautilus Lifeline With VHF Radio Option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a similar issue here in the PAC NW.... When I take my boat up to BC, I "technically" am not allowed to transmit on my marine VHF without the proper licencing for BC.... But basically all the folks that I know, if in a real emergency scenario, would be more than happy to have one of our Canadian brothers or sisters come out to arrest us for unauthorized radio use and take to a nice warm Canadian jail.......with complimentary healthcare!

I have a networked MMSI and AIS backbone set up on my boat so will probably go with the new Lifeline version to carry while diving. As long as I properly train whoever is staying onboard while diving I should be able to activate my position and ny exact location would be auto transmitted right onto both my helm and cockpit Garmin chartplotters.. One of those "what-if" things that you hope you will never use.

I just thought it would be nice to also have the voice communication option.

We have a similar issue here in the PAC NW.... When I take my boat up to BC, I "technically" am not allowed to transmit on my marine VHF without the proper licencing for BC.... But basically all the folks that I know, if in a real emergency scenario, would be more than happy to have one of our Canadian brothers or sisters come out to arrest us for unauthorized radio use and take to a nice warm Canadian jail.......with complimentary healthcare!

I have a networked MMSI and AIS backbone set up on my boat so will probably go with the new Lifeline version to carry while diving. As long as I properly train whoever is staying onboard while diving I should be able to activate my position and ny exact location would be auto transmitted right onto both my helm and cockpit Garmin chartplotters.. One of those "what-if" things that you hope you will never use.

I just thought it would be nice to also have the voice communication option.
The licensing stuff is irrelevant in an emergency situation. But most of the calls are for convenience, not an emergency, it seems. You know, on Ch 68, "Hey, I'm over here. No hurry!"
I carry both Nautilus units and a PLB in any dicey situation.

The mfg said:

Why did production stop on Nautilus Radio?
Unfortunately, we had no choice but to shut down production on the original Nautilus Radio. US authorities have banned single transceiver handheld radios and the EU changed the CE technical requirements for this class of radio. The problem with the MMSI numbers was also a major hurdle. As well, there were tremendous difficulties with manufacturing in China. For the newer Nautilus GPS, manufacturing is being done right here in Canada.
That just sounds wrong to me. I totally get it that you may not be able to legally operate a handheld VHF in certain waters , countries, etc....... and do so at your own risk. But that has NEVER stopped manufacturers like Standard Horizon and ICOM from selling them. It is 100% the responsibility of the buyer to use or not use in unauthorized areas.

That just sounds wrong to me. I totally get it that you may not be able to legally operate a handheld VHF in certain waters , countries, etc....... and do so at your own risk. But that has NEVER stopped manufacturers like Standard Horizon and ICOM from selling them. It is 100% the responsibility of the buyer to use or not use in unauthorized areas.
They were imported. The FCC clamped down in Sept 2018 on importation of unapproved devices.

Attachments

• DA-18-980A1.pdf
    127.6 KB · Views: 90
Hi there, this is Ryan from Nautilus LifeLine.

I just wanted to address some of the concerns posted here.

The generation 1 Lifeline Radio was fully FCC certified when it was first launched. New rules were later introduced, which meant that the Lifeline was no longer FCC compliant, effectively forcing us to stop production and importation.

In addition, this class of device requires the user to apply for an MMSI number in order to use the DSC functionality. We discovered that many countries around the world made it very difficult for users to apply for the MMSI if they were not boat owners.

Our solution to this was our current model, the LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS. As it is a different class of device, we were able to avoid these issues. We are fully committed to making FCC certified LifeLines available in the USA.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Back
Top Bottom