Nautilus? Cool shell found this weekend on Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Chica and I were diving on the Barefoot Blue charter to Farnsworth Banks on Sunday (BTW - one of the best trips ever... BFB, you people rock!) and on dive #2 (Eagles Nest, I believe was the site) I stumbled on this cool shell.

I managed to carry it around for about 45 minutes, AND get it back onto the boat, AND get it home without crushing it into a zillion pieces - a big deal for me, as I'm a complete klutz.

Claudette ID'ed this as some sort of small Nautilus shell. Far be it for me to doubt, as she's much smarter than I am - but I'd like to take it a step further. Can anyone tell me what type of Nautilus, or point me to a good resource for reverse engineering shells and shell fragments like this one?

Thanks!

Ken

74583917.QaGkTUwA.jpg

74583919.cGDT6W30.jpg

74583920.zl6TGQ2j.jpg

74583921.NvYDx6gh.jpg

ScubaBoard hates PBase. Whatever. If you get the Red X of Death, just right click and select "show photograph" and it should show up. If not, just hit f5 to reload the page, and right click again.

knotical:
Looks like one of the argonauts.

http://www.tolweb.org/Argonauta
Wow! Thank you, knotical! This link has beautiful photographs and fascinating details about this octopus.

A pelagic octopus, with dwarf males who 'donate' a body part during fertilization, and females that secrete a translucent shell for brooding eggs.

Love is stranger than fiction... and often more beautiful.

Great find, Ken! The Treasure of Sand Tour '07!

'Chica

P.S.
KenDoubtMeAnyTime:
Claudette ID'ed this as some sort of small Nautilus shell. Far be it for me to doubt, as she's much smarter than I am -...
Wrong again, dear friend, but thanks for the vote of confidence while charging ahead to find the truth. I really thought it was the shell of a true gastropod nautilus, in spite of the lack of chambers. I had never heard of an octopus with a shell. Wonderful discovery.

In January, I was on a research boat at Catalina and we caught three paper nautilus' live and were able to observe them in a tank for a while. Very neat creatures. Out of their shell, they look like little translucent octopi, which of course they are.

I am so fired up!!!

This is great stuff. Thanks, Knot. Unreal. Octo and Jelly? Who knew?

The ocean is vast and amazing. This is the reason I dive. You just can't get this stuff when you're dry.

---
Ken

Ken, did you post this somewhere else? I know I replied with the ID but I don't see it here.

Neil- cool to see live ones. I've never seen anything other than the shell which they create to carry their eggs while they develop. Do you have pictures of the live ones?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom