Nauticam vs "Aquatica" housing reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTPaws

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I've decided that my pre-retirement present to myself is going to be a Sony a7R V with a Sony 90mm.

Although there are some excellent reviews of both the Nauticam & Aquatica housings I haven't seen any actual comparisons of why one is better than the other. My google ability is certainly lacking here. At Backscatter there is about a $900 difference so I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the extra money. I need the 100M depth rating as I spend a good amount of my wall dives in the 60M+ range and don't want to be limited. I do take macro pics and videos more than wide, even on the wall at depth.

Does the Sony A7 allow pre-flash cancel?

Does the Aquatica housing support back button focus? At this level camera surely it does.

What triggers the strobes?

Look at what lenses you plan to use and which housing provides the best support for that lens.

I do not like the rough finish of the Aquatica but I do like that it is anodized and then powder coated, Nauticam is anodized only but has a smooth finish that sheds debris.

It does look like the pre-flash can be canceled, although I may be reading it wrong 😁
What triggers the strobes?
I believe the camera uses a hot shoe to fiber optic. I know I can get the Aquatica with a dual fiber output for $100 or so more. The Tech at Backscatter said that he liekd the Nauticam optics better, but both can support the macro lens I want to shoot.

It does look like the pre-flash can be canceled, although I may be reading it wrong 😁

I believe the camera uses a hot shoe to fiber optic. I know I can get the Aquatica with a dual fiber output for $100 or so more. The Tech at Backscatter said that he liekd the Nauticam optics better, but both can support the macro lens I want to shoot.

Does either flash trigger support sTTL? Or are they manual only? Does the A7 series allow preflash cancel, the Alpha APS-C 6XXX series do not, verify that for certain? I can make do (NA6400) but at the price point you are working at that (no prefash cancel) is a no go.

Not to disparage UWT, but I have had three of their triggers and have not found them consistent (fail to sync).

A back button focus trigger, again, make sure the housing supports that. You need that.

Assuming that A7RV has the same menu structure as my A6700 (I believe it does), which is different from your A6400 and my old A6300, it works like this. In the FN menu, you pick flash mode (fill/slow/rear), and in a separate MENU page, there is a setting for WL Flash ON/OFF (as opposed to the older menus where you had the WL as a separate item alongside fill/slow/rear). At least with my UWT trigger, setting WL Flash to ON produces a single pulse, whereas setting it to OFF produces a double pulse (easily visible).

The hardcoded pre-flash of A6xxx and RX100 series cameras pop-up flashes is irrelevant for A1/A7/A9 as well as A6600/A6700, as these cameras lack a built-in flash - you have to use a trigger or a wired connection from hotshoe to strobes.

I started with Aquatica. I shot/dove with that set up for about 5 years. Then I sold it and bought a Nauticam housing. The difference is stark. IMO, the Nauticam is head and shoulders above the Aquatica by every metric. Nauticam is more robust. The main and port o-rings are thicker. The port and rear locking mechanisms are easier, better, and more secure. I had two leaks with the Aquatica despite always being meticulous (fortunately only dribbles). Never had any leaks with Nauticam after several hundred dives with it. The Aquatica requires removing eye piece from camera beforeputting it in the housing. Goes on and on. I like literally everything better on the Nauticam. I think it's worth well more than $1000 more than the Aquatica. FWIW, I've never seen another Aquatica set up on a trip. Nearly every photographer with a high end rig uses Nauticam on every trip I've been on. Also, you get extras as standard with the Nauticam that reduces the price differential.

Assuming that A7RV has the same menu structure as my A6700 (I believe it does), which is different from your A6400 and my old A6300, it works like this. In the FN menu, you pick flash mode (fill/slow/rear), and in a separate MENU page, there is a setting for WL Flash ON/OFF (as opposed to the older menus where you had the WL as a separate item alongside fill/slow/rear). At least with my UWT trigger, setting WL Flash to ON produces a single pulse, whereas setting it to OFF produces a double pulse (easily visible).

The hardcoded pre-flash of A6xxx and RX100 series cameras pop-up flashes is irrelevant for A1/A7/A9 as well as A6600/A6700, as these cameras lack a built-in flash - you have to use a trigger or a wired connection from hotshoe to strobes.

Thanks, interesting. I would rather have a simple, clear, manual flash selection with no preflash as does Canon. I do not like how Sony does that, if that is how the preflash is cancelled. I would investigate flash triggering with these housings carefully. I am beginning to loose my enthusiasm for Sony.

(I am able to use the WL command to eliminate the preflash using the hotshoe on the A6400. But, the UWT trigger is not reliable.)

(I am able to use the WL command to eliminate the preflash using the hotshoe on the A6400. But, the UWT trigger is not reliable.)
There are other trigger options on the market, such as TRT-Electronics s-TURTLE, which comes in TTL and manual-only varieties. My experience with UWT has been positive.

Marelux is another option for that camera. I recently got the Marelux housing form my A7iv and the monitor housing for a Atomos Ninja (I shoot mostly video at this point). I like both of them, I have had a couple aquatica housings for dSLRs (both had trigger issues), and I have used a few nauticam housings, all of which have been great.

The price difference between the Marelux and Nauticam is significant, the quality seems to be about equal. Blue Water Photo is the US dealer for marelux.

Marelux is another option for that camera. I recently got the Marelux housing form my A7iv and the monitor housing for a Atomos Ninja (I shoot mostly video at this point). I like both of them, I have had a couple aquatica housings for dSLRs (both had trigger issues), and I have used a few nauticam housings, all of which have been great.

The price difference between the Marelux and Nauticam is significant, the quality seems to be about equal. Blue Water Photo is the US dealer for marelux.

Where is Marelux from/made? China company?

Back
Top Bottom