Nauticam NEX-7 housing announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are a quick couple of nudis taken with the Nex-5 in the Nauticam housing, the 30 mm emount macro lens, and two Inon s2000 strobes pointing directly at the subjects.
Glossodoris cincta.jpgBethlehem (85 of 85).jpg

The glossodoris is not cropped and was about an inch and a half long, the little yellow guy (don't yet have a good ID) is about 4 to 5 mm long and is cropped. I like the quality of the lens quite a lot and it certainly is a lot easier to schlep along than the 7D/Nauticam/multiple ports.
Enjoy

Bill

Last edited:
The yellow one is Cadlinella ornatissima, Cadlinella ornatissima (Risbec, 1928) - Chromodorididae » Nudi Pixel

How did you get the plain background?

Thanks for the ID, my wife came up with the same ID. I created a little posing stage from a piece of brass (to keep it from floating away like the first one I tried) and a couple of pieces of translucent plastic and some shoe laces to hold the plastic in a smooth curve. You can put one strobe behind the stage and one on camera.

Bill

BTW - the 30mm for the Nex5/7 is Back Ordered....STILL. I've been waiting two months for one now, paid for it. The store called Sony, and they said "we dunno".

Thanks for the ID, my wife came up with the same ID. I created a little posing stage from a piece of brass (to keep it from floating away like the first one I tried) and a couple of pieces of translucent plastic and some shoe laces to hold the plastic in a smooth curve. You can put one strobe behind the stage and one on camera.

Bill

That sounds A LOT like how I shoot my Human models, strobes on the sides and one behind (or top).

Blows me away to take a pic of a crawler with an artificial background.

Imagine scaling that up to take a pic of a puffer without scaring the little guy...

KUDOS BILL !!!

For you nudi fans who would like to see additional use of this technique you should Google David Doubilet and look for his June 2008 National Geographic article "Living Color" which has some stunning images.

Phil Rudin

Regarding bgfspeedy's question about the flat port with the 18-55 kit lens it will narrow the field of view of the lens which helps a little on the close-up (55mm) end and reduces FOV and corner sharpness on the wide (18mm) end of the lens.

The dome port for the 18-55 lens helps corner sharpness and retains the above water AOV of the lens.

The 4.33 inch dome port for the 16mm pancake also works well with the wide angle converter lens and the fisheye converter lens. You can see some of my images with the two converter lenses at the Nauticamusa.com web site in the NEX-5 housing section.

Regarding the Nauticam NA-NEX-7 housing it appears in the US that we may see the housing in stock before the NEX-7 cameras.

Phil Rudin

Hi there,

I managed to get a Nex 7 here in Hong Kong, but I had to go for the body only (if you want pics let me know). Having a hard time to buy the 18-55lens separately in smaller camera shops (price is 200USD compared to 310USD in big camera stores), so that should take another 2 weeks.

Also ordered the Nauticam housing with flat port 72 and 67mm lens holder and everything should be here next week. Once I have whole thing, I will upload some pictures in case people are interested.

Thanks again for the recommendations for the ports.

Cheers

bgfspeedy

Certainly the Doubilet pictures were the inspiration for my little posing stage. He had the Nat Geo gnomes actually make him a plastic cyclorama that he mounted on a tripod. Strobes in front and back. Mine is very much still a work in progress, my mechanical engineer wife laughs at my iteration #27 or so. Some day hope to be able to get the real high key pictures.
Bill

I go the Nex7 body and kit lens from DigitalRev in Hong Kong 2 weeks ago. Got the Nauticam housing and ports in Australia via Scubapix and Ocean Divers in Melbourne last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom