Nauticam M14 vacuum port old design vs new design plus cap gripe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beepbird

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just got back from Puerto Galera where my friend didn't tighten their Nauticam housing vent cap completely and it fell off. The new vent design is a red push button plus a cap. Luckily my friend saw it when they got back on the boat and protected the red release button, so no flood. We tried to find the cap to no avail. Since I had the old style, I thought I could swap caps, no they are not interchangeable. We tried to purchase extra caps but the vendor in Manila would only sell the entire assembly. My friend did not use her camera after that.

6 days later I met somebody who flooded their camera because they forgot to put the new style cap on. Mid dive they turned the camera to portrait and they flooded the camera. They dried out the housing and all the electronics were fine but the camera and lens was toast.

I thought I liked the new vent design but after seeing all this I'm glad I have the old style vent release. The old vent design was a bear to turn as it has a knurled wheel plus a cap. It hurts my arthritic thumb but at least I won't accidentally release the vacuum and flood.

I am pretty sure that the caps are indeed interchangeable but there are two sizes (14 and 16 mm) at least on the olympus versions.
Bill

I am pretty sure that the caps are indeed interchangeable but there are two sizes (14 and 16 mm) at least on the olympus versions.
Bill
The thread locations are in different places for the M14 vacuum port.

That is not awesome. I don't really love the old wheel design, but it has never failed me, and I have left the cap on the boat a couple times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom