Nautical super macro converter 67mm mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Nauticam SMC has 67mm threads and it WILL NOT mount directly to a 67mm threaded macro port. The reason is that it is made to be used with a flip adapter and unlike other underwater closeup lenses the threads are not at the very end of the lens. The threads have been moved to allow the C/U lens to go through the ring on the flip adapter that is mounted to the port. This allows the lens to sit several millimeters closer to the port glass thus increasing magnification. It you are not aware the more distance you put between the rear of the closeup lens and the camera lens the less magnification you get. This is why some of you that are trying to get one port to work with several lenses get less than expected magnification with macro lenses that sit back several millimeters from the port glass and C/U lens. If you read the Reef Photo post above you will see the information regarding the needed flip adapter at the bottom of the information page.

I just got the SMC Lens for use with my Canon 7D in a Nauticam Housing. The SMC comes with an adapter ring and will mount directly on my 67mm threaded flat port. However, I did buy the Nauticam Flip Holder and will be using it without the adapter ring.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get any bottom time. Looks promising though. Here are some test shots above water.

Note the scale is in millimeters and taken on a Canon 7D with 1.6 crop factor. Taken with Canon 100mm lens. Magnification is effectively just above 2:1. Without the SMC, the Lens is capable of 1:1

Hoping to get some time in the water soon and see what results I can get.

SMC+Roxas+Eye.jpg

SMC.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom