Nausea While Surfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hypnodean

Registered
Reaction score
Ok- second time now, I had a great dive all was well, no sea sickness or the like, UNTIL......

When I was about 5-8 feet from the surface, both times, I becamse VERY nauseas, JUST shy of feeding the fish. This time I was wearing the accupressure sea sick bands that have worked well on cruises in very rough seas. But I am wondrering what gives. The nausea made me feel crummy enough I skipped the second dive because I didn't want to take a chance.

Part of me thinks it is just the disorientation of the waves, other divers, boat bobbing in front of me, etc.... I did not experience this same thing in lake or aquarium dives, but of course, no waves no boat.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? :confused1 :l:

hypnodean:
Ok- second time now, I had a great dive all was well, no sea sickness or the like, UNTIL......

When I was about 5-8 feet from the surface, both times, I becamse VERY nauseas, JUST shy of feeding the fish. This time I was wearing the accupressure sea sick bands that have worked well on cruises in very rough seas. But I am wondrering what gives. The nausea made me feel crummy enough I skipped the second dive because I didn't want to take a chance.

Part of me thinks it is just the disorientation of the waves, other divers, boat bobbing in front of me, etc.... I did not experience this same thing in lake or aquarium dives, but of course, no waves no boat.

Ideas? Comments? Suggestions? :confused1 :l:

Sorry not to have any ideas on this topic. Hopefully others will submit some answers.

N.B. Those topics that do not directly pertain to the physiology/biophysics of decompression should be sent to the Diving Medicine Forum. Those topics that pertain to gas usage and the techniques of mixed gas diving should go to the Tech Talk Forum. Decompression phsiolgy is the real focus of the Ask Dr Deco forum - and the only one that I know something about in detail. :wink:

Many thanks

Dr D.

Sorry, I guessed between which of those two would be most appropriate. I guessed wrong. :frown2:

I'm not a doctor and I don't stay at Holiday Inn, but see if this sounds reasonable:

"...alternobaric vertigo...occurs when the two middle ears do not ventilate equally on ascent. The pressure imbalance produces an unequal stimulation of the balance mechanism, a sensation of imbalance and an effort to correct it by motion of the body."

From an article on vertigo and diving by Fred Bove, MD, PhD, etc. Read the whole thing here.

reefraff:
I'm not a doctor and I don't stay at Holiday Inn, but see if this sounds reasonable:

"...alternobaric vertigo...occurs when the two middle ears do not ventilate equally on ascent. The pressure imbalance produces an unequal stimulation of the balance mechanism, a sensation of imbalance and an effort to correct it by motion of the body."

From an article on vertigo and diving by Fred Bove, MD, PhD, etc. Read the whole thing here.
The third scenerio in the article is exactly what happened and how it felt...
Ok, next two questions... if one does (pardon me) vomit underwater, is there a proper "method" so as to not drown.

and Two- anyone have any techniques for trying help prevent this? it reallyt was NOT amusing either time it happened.

Vomiting in the water is dangerous and, to the best of my knowledge, there aren't any studies about "how to." What I've learned: grab hold of the regulator to make sure you don't expel it along with lunch and fire away. (Some people suggest removing the regulator, but I would worry about taking an involuntary breath and killing yourself.) Breath as normally as possible, but be extra cautious not to inhale any of the vomit. The exhaust path should be able to handle the flow, so to speak, unless you aren't in the habit of chewing your food. When done, remove the regulator from your mouth and press the purge button to make sure that the diaphragm is clear.

The best way to prevent the problem is to ascend more slowly, allowing your middle ears to equalize and don't dive if you're having a congestion problem. If the problem persists, I'd definitely call DAN and ask for an ENT referral in your area.

DAN: Vestibular Systems and Barotrauma

reefraff:

Yep, vertigo was the first thing that crossed my mind too.

R..

Back
Top Bottom